water/meth

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
Ive been reading and thinking about adding a water/meth system on my truck. If i understand it correctly running a 50/50 of meth and water you dont increase combustion pressure much but the water/meth creates a more efficent burn hence the power gain. Say right now im pushing the limits of my stock internals how much pressure would this put on them? im looking at adding for EGT reductions since im seeing 1700 EGT temps at the track, plus the power increas is welcome.

May 21, 2008
Stephenville Tx
I stay away from 50/50 mix because of timing. I have run alittle bit of windsheild washer fluid 0 degree 10% meth but at the track I have only run strait distilled water worth about 200 degree drop on 300hp PPE, havent tried it on the efi yet. Just a rule of thumb it you run strait water run one big nozzel and one small nozzel, to big nozzels might start pooling in the intake. Oh yeah I cross the 1/4 at about 1425 on water only.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
My take on mix;)

I normally run plain water or up to 20-30% meth (preferred) on the street. I like to run a slash of methanol for the extra cooling/power. The evaporative effect of the alky when sprayed into it helps alot, the fast evap of it really helps chill it down. this summer on a hot day, I did a lil test. at full operating temps and upper 90* heat out i blasted down the road with the system set low and one nozzle on, just H2O, jumped out and grabed pre and post cooler pipes. Pre was toasty hot, had to let go fast!, post was noticeably cooler but still warm. Next blast, 20% meth, pre cooler= hot as hell, post= to my suprise, actually pretty cool, i'd say 65*F (need my temp gun next time) :D

So, if you think about it, it works much like an A/C system. Hi-Psi liquid sprays into a lower pressure volume (boost plumbing) through an orfice (nozzle in this case) and evaporates into a cool vapor. Not quite as efficiant as actuall A/C but same principals apply. So, IMO a small amount of methanol in the system increases the effective cooling of the system and adds some more power in that aspect besides being additional fuel. I make my own power juice for more versatility of blend percentages:D

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
is there any kit in specific i should look for? I dont tow anything just haul some odds and ends in the bed. Im not looking to spend $1000 on a kit either. Do you have to change the tuning any either? Im thinking about also adding extruded nozzles here soon also...or maybe in the spring when it warms :D

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
i want to get one but no onw can tell me for sure how much the water/meth increases combustion pressures. Id run the -20 washer fluid. I know the meth increases pressures but no one can tell me how much all they can say is its very little....:confused:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
i want to get one but no onw can tell me for sure how much the water/meth increases combustion pressures. Id run the -20 washer fluid. I know the meth increases pressures but no one can tell me how much all they can say is its very little....:confused:

Wish i had an awnser for ya! I'd hafta have a combustion psi measurment tool and as much as i would...there expensive:( Might hafta ask some of the guys on here that do. Vortecfcar has one and IIRC Pat does too? Guy @ socal?

Killerbee

Got Honey?
Typically 50/50 is suggested because more than this represent a flammability issue.

meth is not a very good compression fuel, its autoigition point is lower than diesel, so you run real risks of overpressurizing BTDC.

My suggestion, is forgot about the fuel value. Use no more than 40%, (I think -20 is around 38% meth) and measure its effectiveness by how much you can lower EGT, and/or increase MAF readings. Then meter diesel for your power. I am fairly certain that 80/20 will not increase peak CP, but it does return LPP, location of peak pressure, back to it optimal place, 12-14 ATDC. That is where WM is valuable, more power without larger peak pressures.