Question: water in fuel

DDurb

Jan 28, 2014
I have put in (3) fuel filters in my 08 gmc in the last month due to water in fuel message on dash, and engine going in limp mode. I have used diesel 911 in the tank with each fill. Is it possible the sending unit on the bottom of my fuel filter can be bad? Or is it just that I have been getting bad fuel. I buy at the same place always, and nobody else has had a problem that I Know of. This is getting expensive at 50 bucks a pop for wix filters . Any advice?:confused:

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
The water in fuel message will not cause the truck to go into limp mode. Low fuel pressure maybe.

There is an updated water in fuel sensor available that has a plastic float. May want to try that.

o4dirtymax

Dec 17, 2012
CA
I have put in (3) fuel filters in my 08 gmc in the last month due to water in fuel message on dash, and engine going in limp mode. I have used diesel 911 in the tank with each fill. Is it possible the sending unit on the bottom of my fuel filter can be bad? Or is it just that I have been getting bad fuel. I buy at the same place always, and nobody else has had a problem that I Know of. This is getting expensive at 50 bucks a pop for wix filters . Any advice?:confused:

If this has happen three times in the past month why are you still getting fuel at the same place?

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
As they said. Also make sure you use the white bottle Power Service to prevent gelling. The red bottle doesn't prevent it from gelling. It reliquifies gelled fuel.

I know where you're coming from. My LLY is gelled up as we speak and I put enough treatment in it for 150 gallons of fuel. My LMM gelled up last night and it has a massive amount of treatment in it. 200 gallons worth of white bottle PS, damn near 250 gallons worth of 911, fuel line antifreeze, etc. Just fricken cold.

I think I got a bad tank of fuel but everytime it gets much below zero and bad wind chills they gell.

I'm not shutting off the LMM until this tank is gone or it warms up some. Or it gells again...