Waste Gate Tuning

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I just have a adjustable banks big head that I am trying to figure out. Any pointers on that one? Thanks
I had one on my 03, send me a pm and let me know what its doing or not doing, amount of boost your seeing now and where you want it and I'll try to help out. Don't want to derail this thread.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl

Thanks Nate. That is what I thought you were doing. I didn't really see how what I was doing now was going to work like I wanted. Are you able to get close to the 1:1 ratios this way? The boost from the charge pipe is reading atmosphere boost or primary boost? What numbers would be ideal? Say I see total boost of 85-90 psi what would be ideal to see from the charge pipe reading?

straightpiperoar

Jul 20, 2009
I have an S475 and PBK twin kit from Trent and He told me the same thing about plumbing boost pressure to the top of the wastegate to keep it shut....I was worried about doing that and if it would over spool the 475?????

delong_1

<< my work
Dec 5, 2008
Arvada, CO
the way i have it setup right now i see approx 85 total and 40-45 out of my gt55, this way you can determine when it opens, and how much. i was dumping more off to the gt55 but now that its about 2/1 it made more power.

im getting my boost for the gate/regulator from the high pressure turbo outlet.

delong_1

<< my work
Dec 5, 2008
Arvada, CO
I have an S475 and PBK twin kit from Trent and He told me the same thing about plumbing boost pressure to the top of the wastegate to keep it shut....I was worried about doing that and if it would over spool the 475?????

i can tell you for sure that if you dont let the gate open you will overspeed the turbo, the reason for the gate into the hotpipe is to drive the big turbo harder. to some extent you want the big charger to be doing a lot of the work since that is where all the big cfm comes from.

straightpiperoar

Jul 20, 2009
i can tell you for sure that if you dont let the gate open you will overspeed the turbo, the reason for the gate into the hotpipe is to drive the big turbo harder. to some extent you want the big charger to be doing a lot of the work since that is where all the big cfm comes from.

So you have boost from the cool side of the intercooler plumbed into the bottom port on the wastegate and then the same boost plumbed to the top fitting of the gate and have it where you can regulate how much goes to the top.....thanks for the help...I think i am missing some free HP by not having this setup right

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
the way i have it setup right now i see approx 85 total and 40-45 out of my gt55, this way you can determine when it opens, and how much. i was dumping more off to the gt55 but now that its about 2/1 it made more power.

So you are using the hot side intercooler pipe and no the cool pipe then for boost signals? There shouldn't be a significant difference if you are using a good intercooler. Just asking because I have used both so afr and it could help with a cleaner look one way vs the other.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl

How much drive pressure are you seeing? I am over 100psi and want to get it down. I may have to dump some drive pressure. I was hoping to not do it that way.

delong_1

<< my work
Dec 5, 2008
Arvada, CO
If you guys need more info you can pm me and I will give you my number.

I can get you pics, part numbers, or whatever you need to get the gates dialed in.

delong_1

<< my work
Dec 5, 2008
Arvada, CO
I've gotten several pm's about this, if you guys have external gates please pm me your number so I can help you. The way you were told to plumb your gates is completely wrong.