Walmart Destroying America!

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Your statement had two sides. I tend to disagree with you for many reasons.

1. America is bilingually challenged. I think this goes back to overall laziness and entitlement. Why should we learn languages. Everyone should bow to us. Without learning other languages there would be no trade and a worse economy. We are going into other countries to sell our goods, they are coming to ours to sell our goods. People in these positions learn other languages. Doesn't matter what race they are, they learn the proper languages. Its a tool for their job and they are payed accordingly.

2. The migrants coming into the us are taking over low income jobs. They are getting paid to do a task. Their managers are often reguired to be bilingual but are payed accordingly. While this analogy may sound harsh, it is true. These workers are like robots. You need somebody educated in computers and IT to operate and control them. Just like you need somebody bilingual to talk to the workers.

3. How are the migrants going to learn another language when our country as a whole lacks the education structure and motivation to learn another language.

4. Control. I often feel the bilingual person is in control. If the workers are talking to you in English, you don't know what they are saying when talking in Spanish. This could be threats, complaints or general problem causing behavior you are oblivious to. You're the dumb white Guy. But when you are the bilingual one, they know they can't get away with that much. You may not know their language entirely but you will know enough that they won't say anything. Why does this matter? Look how many people get fired daily for things they put on facebook about their work, or for verbal harassment. You're oblivious to it unless you can speak their language.

I see what your saying, but sorry, i would not feel any smarter if i learned spanish, nor should I have to learn spanish to do my job safely. On big jobs, obviously i dont have to deal with this as most of them are Union around here. But i still deal with it on small jobs, and everything they do for us if half a$$ed and has to be re done. I take time to learn my craft, do it well and efficiently to earn my wages, but i will not take time to learn spanish as it will not help me in my craft what so ever. Whenever I have to communicate with someone that cannot speak english on the job, i just walk away, come inspection time when they dont have the building side ready for the elevator inspection, i simply explain to the contractor it was a lack of communication on their part, then they pay for the low wages in re-inspection fees from us, and the inspection company/city/state.

On the topic, i do not shop at walmart, i think its a crappy business, and if it wasnt around there would still be jobs available elsewhere. So yeah, its keeping people employed, but other places would keep the same people employed if it was gone. They are building a costco near me, and that will be my store of choice, i might not get as good as deals, but overall its a better company. Im not saying anything bad about walmart shoppers, if thats what they want, thats there given right, just like its mine to not support it.

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
Walmart is destroying North America and they won't get any of my hard earned money. A friend of mine told me that they are thinking of changing the immigration laws here to make it mandatory for you to speak english. Why should I have to learn their language when they're coming to our (my) country.

cjake

May 8, 2012
It really is amazing how companies of greater power seem to be given some slack over things that really matter. From avoiding taxes to stepping onto a lot of people who are of lower significance and to the fact that they are abolishing unions just so things would always go their way, it is hard to take that they are given the recognition they are given with this things in play.

millerman04

< The Man Cave
Jul 14, 2010
Clearville, Pa
Kinda made me sick to watch how they dont care about anything but themselves and making all that money. But yet Bill Gates can donate 58% to charities and the poor. It sucks to spend a lil more on the same products at a different store, but supporting the smaller guy makes up for it. I work for a small business. Right now we are kinda in the middle of alcohol law changes. Its coming closer to going into grocery stores, and of coarse, Wal Mart. So i kinda know where the small guy is coming from. Cheers to the ban of Wal Mart!! :beer

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Right now we are kinda in the middle of alcohol law changes. Its coming closer to going into grocery stores, and of coarse, Wal Mart. So i kinda know where the small guy is coming from. Cheers to the ban of Wal Mart!! :beer

I've never.been to a grocery store that didn't have a good sized liquor store. Come to think if it I can't remember the last one that didn't have a walk in beer cooler . Most if our new convenience stores have walk in coolers too. Don't forget the drive through liquor stores.

Could just be that its Wisconsin though.