Vibration at 25mph

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
Just did u-joints on an 08 tacoma that all signs showed were still good, they were cheap enough to rule out. In the end it fixed the vibration that was almost identical to yours.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
When u joints start going bad they get tighter before they get loose. Checking them while driveshaft is still in the truck doesn't tell you much.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Simon,
I had a wheel two bad front wheel bearings on a trip to the states... Had a vibration at about 65-70 mph. Try riding the brakes while it's vibrating the worse, if it's a wheel bearing the vibration will go away or lessen.

I'm with Mike, my bet is a u-joint or both. My friends lifted LMM was giving him fits with a squeak and vibration from the rear end. Finally brought it over to the house after he couldn't find it. I layed under the truck while he shifted from forward to reverse still couldn't find it, everything was tight... I shot the u-joints with w-40 and the noise went away... Bought 2 u-joints and pulled the driveline, u-joints fell apart in my hands... So much for the tried and true method off giving them a shake lol. Just a thought.

Kartmnn

Oct 27, 2011
East Providence RI
I had one U joint with a groove in the running range. The other two are fine along with the center carrier is good. The Joint with the wear is the one on the tranny. Have not got it back together but can the one joint be bad with the others good and cause this vibration? If its not this I dont know what to do....

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I had one U joint with a groove in the running range. The other two are fine along with the center carrier is good. The Joint with the wear is the one on the tranny. Have not got it back together but can the one joint be bad with the others good and cause this vibration? If its not this I dont know what to do....

Yes you can have 1 joint bad. It's still a good idea to replace all at the same time.

Kartmnn

Oct 27, 2011
East Providence RI
Thanks, I know just dont have the $200 for the other two at the moment. I hope this fixes it. I have kept the two driveshafts the same as they came out of the truck. If someone was in here before me, is there a chance the driveshaft is out of balance or does GM balance each shaft itself. There are no marks on the either driveshafts.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yes you can have 1 joint bad. It's still a good idea to replace all at the same time.

yup, went down that road with my samurai. you guys wanna talk about a picky SOB when your running a centered diff axle in a vehicle that came factory with a off center diff axle AND has a divorced transfer case with a weak case cradle. taught me alot though