Viberations at high speeds in 4wd with tuff country lift kit

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
My friend bitched about the vibrations in his 05' in 05' with a 6" lift and after the transfer case scattered under normal winter driving, he had a shaft built with a velocity joint and it took a lot of abuse. He's put them on 3 other trucks since then, I'll see what he runs.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'm bringing back an old thread. Has anyone found a cv style front driveshaft that has no vibration and that holds up to drag racing? Or is it safer just to run the stock style driveshaft with the vibrations?

stock is the safest bet at this point though its not all that safe.

My friend bitched about the vibrations in his 05' in 05' with a 6" lift and after the transfer case scattered under normal winter driving, he had a shaft built with a velocity joint and it took a lot of abuse. He's put them on 3 other trucks since then, I'll see what he runs.

id be curious. i have still yet to see one hold up well in a truck over 500hp. you just cant get the DC outer casing big enough to hold up. i think the new LML trucks with the new t-case have some more room for a bigger DC joint but could be wrong. last one i looked at had a 12" lift on it and didnt look at the driveshaft side too hard

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
IMOP, id source a dodge or ford CV and mate it to the stock shaft. one day ill get mine done that way. then its all stock parts you know wont give issues.

Dodge and Ford only have a 1350 series CV. If someone wanted to spend the coin, high angle driveline makes a 1410 CV.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Dodge and Ford only have a 1350 series CV. If someone wanted to spend the coin, high angle driveline makes a 1410 CV.

thats an old post of mine. It has been since figured out that a DC joint from a ford or dodge will not fit into the t-case without rubbing on the trans, hence why aftermarket ones will not hold up under power. the casing for the joint is too small. a 1410 certainly wont fit either.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
stock is the safest bet at this point though its not all that safe.

id be curious. i have still yet to see one hold up well in a truck over 500hp. you just cant get the DC outer casing big enough to hold up. i think the new LML trucks with the new t-case have some more room for a bigger DC joint but could be wrong. last one i looked at had a 12" lift on it and didnt look at the driveshaft side too hard

His trucks have never had more than an exhaust, intake and tow tunes, but he did beat on the LLY and the LMM a good bit, so it may not be worth a damn on a higher HP truck.

sharpshooter

Jan 2, 2013
My truck is actually a lifted gas truck that I run at the track. It weighs 5500 lbs and runs 11.5 @ 120.
My front driveshaft starts to vibrate when I'm in third gear (1:1) at high speeds at the track. It's spinning at roughly 5500 rpms at the quarter.
I'm wondering if the cv driveshaft will hold up for me because it's lighter and makes a lot less torque than a diesel but I don't know how a cv driveshaft will do at 5500 rpms.

I was hoping that if the cv driveshafts could hold up for you guys (duramax's) I'd be ok. I can't decide if I should spend the $500 or run with the vibration.