Vgt turbo upgrade

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
No by all means! Suggestions, options! There all good! I looked at that one. So many of his turbos can make that 625-700 hp mark that I can't even decide on which one lol

Wturnbo

Mar 9, 2017
Flagstaff,Az
halfway related to the turbo talk. Ready to take off my stock down pipe wondering whats better a wrapped pipe or a coated one? Just straight pipe and KN intake with stainless wheel nothing fancy just my daily driver not going to upgrade much on this truck.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
halfway related to the turbo talk. Ready to take off my stock down pipe wondering whats better a wrapped pipe or a coated one? Just straight pipe and KN intake with stainless wheel nothing fancy just my daily driver not going to upgrade much on this truck.
I know you can touch the heat wrap a few minutes after a run, which makes me think that is the way to go. Highly doubt you could touch a coated downpipe for a long long time after a run... My two cents

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Do you live in the rustbelt? The wrap makes things rust faster. After only making my few yearly trips up north in the winter my dp has started to have deep pits. So I rewrapped it so the bottom 6" of the dp isn't wrapped.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
What about this guy? http://www.danvilleperformance.com/dp-tct-2-5-stg2-reman/
Sorry not trying to hijack but i am very interested in this

Yes that is it and remember you get your $300 core charge back when we receive your good core which makes the turbo only $1,400. plus shipping. This turbo is good up to 675hp range.

The 3794 with my 68mm wheel is one of my oldest builds, it was originally called my 68mm Stg2 for the last 10 years. It is good for low 700-750hp range. Garrett was a little late to the party, lol. Let me know if you guys have anymore questions and I will try to get you taken care of!

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
Thats what im thinking. Plus that’s truly around the hp and cost im looking at.

Now mark are those numbers on stock fuel/setup with your tuning? Or just intake and exhaust with a lift pump and tuning? And does this have or need high flow vanes?

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Yes that is it and remember you get your $300 core charge back when we receive your good core which makes the turbo only $1,400. plus shipping. This turbo is good up to 675hp range.

The 3794 with my 68mm wheel is one of my oldest builds, it was originally called my 68mm Stg2 for the last 10 years. It is good for low 700-750hp range. Garrett was a little late to the party, lol. Let me know if you guys have anymore questions and I will try to get you taken care of!

Where exactly does the 3794 over rule the 68 stg2 r then? Everything I have read, always leaning away from the 3794 but you still sell them. If the 2.5 lly based turbo you sell is faster then stock spooling and flows better, why would others just not purchase that, then if they want more, purchase the 68 stg2r?

Theres a small gap of info I am missing.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Because people always thing they need bigger but most don't have the parts to support the bigger options. You always want to chose the turbo that will be at 75-80% of it's ability at your peak goal because it will keep it fun to drive. If you go too big then it sucks everywhere. The difference between the 68mm 3794 and my stg2R is the turbine size, the Stg2R is a 2mm larger turbine which is great for topend power but not as great for lowend power. The highflow vanes are great for tuning and they flow more air at the same vane position which translates to angle of attack on the turbine. Hope this helps guys. Thanks again!

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
Because people always thing they need bigger but most don't have the parts to support the bigger options. You always want to chose the turbo that will be at 75-80% of it's ability at your peak goal because it will keep it fun to drive. If you go too big then it sucks everywhere. The difference between the 68mm 3794 and my stg2R is the turbine size, the Stg2R is a 2mm larger turbine which is great for topend power but not as great for lowend power. The highflow vanes are great for tuning and they flow more air at the same vane position which translates to angle of attack on the turbine. Hope this helps guys. Thanks again!

Been waiting for you to see this thread haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Is the stock 3794 wheel on the tipping point already, as far as spool up? I'm surprised a hair bigger turbine on the stg2r wouldn't help out the low end. Yes there's more mass to move I suppose, but also more leverage.

Is it 2mm bigger on the inducer and the exducer? Or only one?

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Is the stock 3794 wheel on the tipping point already, as far as spool up? I'm surprised a hair bigger turbine on the stg2r wouldn't help out the low end. Yes there's more mass to move I suppose, but also more leverage.

Is it 2mm bigger on the inducer and the exducer? Or only one?

The problem with the stock 3794 compressor wheel is that it is a 68x94 fat hub wheel that was contoured down to 65mm and that is a big no no. This issue with running a larger turbine is yes it is more leverage but it also lets more air get past it before it forces it to work so it causes more lag especially at cruising speeds so it is a trade off. It is larger on both measurements. Turbos are a balancing act.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Thanks for sharing Mark. Always nice to have someone as knowledgeable as yourself lay everything out so people can make an educated decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro