Vehicle Advice

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
A few weeks ago my wife's car was totaled from an accident. Luckily no one was hurt and she was able to drive it home. But now the fun begins in finding her a new vehicle.

We have plans of having kids soon so I am looking at 2007+ GMC Denali's but the ones in our price range have higher miles around 150,000 and up. Are high mileage 6.2L bad or are they similar to the 5.3L that will run forever is taken care of properly? How are the transmissions, transfer cases and differentials in them as well?

If the higher mileage 6.2 isn't recommended what other vehicles do you guys like? My other thoughts was the newer 2010+ Nissan Maxima's and I can find those with around 80,000 miles in our price range.

Any advice would be great!

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
If they're anything like the gmt800 trucks, the only thing that goes bad is the fuel pump and transmission. Which the trans shouldn't be an issue.

Kamilmk

Aug 13, 2015
Seymour, CT
Yea definitely glad no one was hurt. Cars you can total and buy new, humans not so much.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
Glad your wife is ok Eric! My wife has had 2 Nissan Maxima's a 2011 and 2014 and we have had zero problems with either one of them!

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Glad to hear your wife is ok.

My wife bought a 2012 Traverse LTZ earlier this year, and she couldnt be happier with it. No major issues. 22+mpg highway (and my wife is a leadfoot) and about 20mpg overall, and that 3.6 has got some surprising get-up for that big SUV.
Sure makes her old Blazer seem like an even bigger joke now.
It could really use a set of winter tires (Blizzacks or such) b/c the OE tires are summer tread, but she got around ok in the snow this past Feb/Mar.

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
Wife has a 2009 Denali short. 6.2 no AFM, no problems so far with 101k and gets consistent 14-16 mpg mix highway and city. I am looking into a tune for it soon from Blackbear or similar

Yeah it wouldn't stay stock long lol. Tune, intake and exhaust probably. :D

Glad to hear your wife is ok.

My wife bought a 2012 Traverse LTZ earlier this year, and she couldnt be happier with it. No major issues. 22+mpg highway (and my wife is a leadfoot) and about 20mpg overall, and that 3.6 has got some surprising get-up for that big SUV.
Sure makes her old Blazer seem like an even bigger joke now.
It could really use a set of winter tires (Blizzacks or such) b/c the OE tires are summer tread, but she got around ok in the snow this past Feb/Mar.

Did you guys get the AWD or just FWD traverse? That's not bad for MPG's.

She wouldn't mind a Duramax but I can't find one with a built motor in my price range lol. :roflmao:

Mpsoldier

That just happened!
Mar 10, 2010
In my House
Subaru I am a wholesaler of Subaru's and there great cars, as long as you dont get a turbo car when they break they are very simple. Looks like your in the snow also these cars are beast in the worst of blizzards. Best bang for the buck personally. They also hold there value very well.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Did you guys get the AWD or just FWD traverse? That's not bad for MPG's.

She wouldn't mind a Duramax but I can't find one with a built motor in my price range lol. :roflmao:

FWD. I would've liked to have found an AWD, but we couldnt have found one for what we paid for this one. FWD isnt so bad, just have to address the tires. So far, so good.
I found it at a local Dodge dealer. I assume it had been traded in for a Grand Cherokee or Durango. There's another couple ideas for you, too.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Drive up into Apple Hill California where a lot of tree huggers live and it snows and rains alot, Subaru all wheel drive Outbacks are everywhere. When the engines you manufacture and the war is over, you stuff Japanese Zero airplane engines in a car..

Last edited:

thuddylikessmoke

Asphalt Cowboy
Aug 12, 2009
Fountain City, IN
My wife runs a 2011 Avalanche LTZ and says it is the perfect girl truck little fella fits in the back great and has plenty of room for all his stuff in the bed. We have been looking at the Denali. I really like them but have heard the mileage is a solid 14 with a lot of power. We have looked at all kind of SUVs and she had an Audi Q5 for a few years liked it and really like the Subaru outbacks.

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
I have a buddy that has had a Denali for about a year now he runs all 87 octane and pulls 16-18 mpg highway. The wife doesn't go far so maybe 6,000-8,000 miles a year at most.

And I like the idea of being able to haul the race truck to the track if needed lol.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Subaru I am a wholesaler of Subaru's and there great cars, as long as you dont get a turbo car when they break they are very simple. Looks like your in the snow also these cars are beast in the worst of blizzards. Best bang for the buck personally. They also hold there value very well.
Any spare Subaru motors? 08 Forester I think. Need to double check

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I have a buddy that has had a Denali for about a year now he runs all 87 octane and pulls 16-18 mpg highway. The wife doesn't go far so maybe 6,000-8,000 miles a year at most.

And I like the idea of being able to haul the race truck to the track if needed lol.

Just remember......with kids comes errands, shopping, doctor appointments, school, after-school running, etc.....in-town miles start to really add up, so fuel mileage will be on the low side of any estimates for you.
But, if you also need the vehicle to tow the red truck to the track, well.....a man has to have his priorities. :roflmao: Might as well just stay with your original thoughts.
Heck, I bought my truck b/c of how many different things it could do, including being the "hauler", so I know what you're searching for.
My wife's parameters when we were looking for her "new" vehicle were: 7 passenger, good fuel mileage, big cargo area, good power, and a sunroof. She's a GM child, so preferred to stay GM, too.
I told her, "You do realize there arent very many SUVs that match those criteria, right?" She didnt want a Traverse to start with b/c she thought them too big, but she finally realized it was the only truck that gave her what she wanted. Took me 4 months to convince her of that.

Last edited:

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
My wife's Denali gets an honest 16mpg in town, hauling kids around:D. Our old Tahoe 5.3 got 16.5 mpg. 5.3 is half the engine the 6.2 is. Also you'll have the 6l80e which is a pretty solid trans. I had ours tuned for 93, and remove some tq management, it is an absolute blast to drive. Will keep up decently with my 500whp truck. ( I mean it doesn't get totally smoked)

I love it, probably only family vehicle we will buy in future.

Good luck glad everybody was ok.