LBZ: Vanes cycle non-stop at idle intermittenly

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
At what engine temp is this happening at? How are your thermostats? When my truck is warming up and I have the a/c running my truck will cycle the vanes back and forth for a while untill it get past a certain engine temp.

Feb 2, 2019
Utah
If its not throwing any codes id say contact your tuner to make sure they everything set up right and let them know whats going on. I think my lbz runs through every 5 minutes. I know edges will sweep through pretty quick kind of like this [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d2uSmmtAeQ]LBZ turbo vanes opening and closing - YouTube
and here is a couple of ones that have actual bad sensors. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj5BNpbynew]2005 Duramax LLY Turbo Vane Position Sensor - YouTube [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZiKehUXU9g]Duramax Turbo Vane Problem - YouTube

# COPY FROM OTHER PAGE #

2003 LB7

EFI LIVE
CAT FUEL FILTER
5 inch flo~pro
Sitting on 33*12.5-44 ballistic 959/Atturos

MadMax17

Mar 26, 2015
maricopa, az
what are the Map sensor values doing? how about the ect values? and IAT?

Map sensor values and ECT readings are correct, truck is reaching full operating temp of 183 and holding within a few degrees. IAT I always monitor inlet and manifold temp and readings are normal as well compared to ambient with or without my water meth turned on.

This may sound stupid but maybe an airflow problem where it’s thinking it’s starving or have to much? Just throwing it out there.

Its possible but unlikely, sensor readings are normal when it happens, it seems like the vane test, just unsucessful attemps back to back.

At what engine temp is this happening at? How are your thermostats? When my truck is warming up and I have the a/c running my truck will cycle the vanes back and forth for a while untill it get past a certain engine temp.

It happens at full operating temp only, it has been cold in the mornings and my elevated idle has been kicking on, Vanes close to 98% and the truck warms up quickly like it should. It also does one cycle during a normal warm up and it completes sucessfully.

This is similar to what it's doing but it's a much faster frequency and it reaches a different vane position almost every time. Usually it'll reach high 90% numbers but sometimes its as low as 70%. I will see if I can get a video up soon.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
The only thing that seems like it wasn't addressed yet is the hydraulic system of the vvt. You said you rebuilt the turbo. Did you do anything with the solenoid or the actuator seals while it was apart? It's unusual that it completes the test when cold but not when warm, normally that would be reversed, but I suppose that if there was a hydraulic leak that is only presenting when warmed up, this may happen

MadMax17

Mar 26, 2015
maricopa, az
The only thing that seems like it wasn't addressed yet is the hydraulic system of the vvt. You said you rebuilt the turbo. Did you do anything with the solenoid or the actuator seals while it was apart? It's unusual that it completes the test when cold but not when warm, normally that would be reversed, but I suppose that if there was a hydraulic leak that is only presenting when warmed up, this may happen

I did replace all seals in the turbo including the solenoid o-rings and plunger seals. The solenoid ohms correctly and does what is commanded by a scan tool, it even will hold any commanded percent for over a minute if I want it to. This makes me doubt there is an issue with the hydraulic part or the turbo at all. It seems like the control side is at fault. I am going to data log more and see what i can find. Uploading a video of how it acted today, I will post once its uploaded.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Yeah, there again, because it is intermittent, I really question the circuitry. Definitely pull some detailed logs while it is occurring and post them up

MadMax17

Mar 26, 2015
maricopa, az
I will try to log some this week and see what I can find, I have not logged voltages but I have monitored them while it happens and haven't seen anything yet. I will update with logs soon. Thank you for your input and help!

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Just a shot in the dark, is the EGR still on the truck? Had an issue recently with the EGR being turned off in the tune but it was still opening randomly causing the vanes to bounce around.

DG71

Apr 17, 2017
Did you figure out the issue? I just rebuilt my 07 LBZ turbo using a ported LLY housing, LLY high flow vanes and LLY 10 blade turbine; complete tear down, ultrasonic clean on bearing housing and vgt sync assembly. Same symptoms, cycles continuously at idle when coolant temp is above 160, 15-88%. Getting a P003A.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
This happens when it doesn't reach 100% vane position during the sweep test and it pisses the computer off and puts it in this mode where it just cycles til it does hit it. Could just be a bad vane sensor or an issue inside the turbo that is keeping it from reaching full position.

DG71

Apr 17, 2017
Going to perform a tech 2 relearn tomorrow. If no luck, will have to pull the turbo.

MadMax17

Mar 26, 2015
maricopa, az
I never figured out the issue, I am getting no codes. Truck drives great (its down for a transmission build right now and hasn't been run in a bit). I've tried 2 different vane sensors and had the same result. My turbo has been apart 3 separate times now and cleaned well each time, also has new o-rings on the actuator solenoid. I've just learned to deal with it at this point, no driveability issues so im not too concerned with it yet.