LLY: Vane Tuning

valleyduramax

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa ON Canada
I have a modded VGT turbo that I am about to reinstall and was looking for some guidance on where to start in terms of vane positioning. The specs on turbo are TCT comp wheel, 10 blade turbine, ported exhaust housing, and some new vanes that I machined. They are low profile vanes width wise. Stock the turbo was set at 34PSI boost with max tuning. I would like to push it harder but have no idea where to start. I do have a drive pressure gauge so i can monitor the boost to drive ratio. Any help would be great!

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I would start with the vanes all the way open at WOT and start closing then down and watch your boost drive and EGTs to see what happens. Be handy to be on a Dyno or get a track number to see if you are making progress or not though. More boost doesn't mean more power all the time.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
I am installing the same exact turbo this Saturday. I got new tunes from Kory for it but not sure what he did. I'm curious to see how it is with his tuning

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Do a log of what you have now so you know if your making it better or worse.

34 on a stock charger most make more power at 28-30

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

valleyduramax

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa ON Canada
I thought i had heard that the modded vgt turbos are being run up around 38-40psi. If not my mistake! I just want to get the most out of it since I put the time and work into it.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
There comes a point when all you're doing is heating the air and losing power.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
Nice man! Mine will be arriving tomorrow at noon and tearing down tomorrow night and hopefully have it all buttoned up Saturday. We have the same exact internals, Brock (minerigger) ported polished and assembled mine for me.