Valve body bolts rounded/tight

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
Hey guys in need of some advice. Have a customer come in that after he installed a trans go jr the trans started acting up really bad, so I pulled it in the shop and noticed right away that a couple of the bolts are rounded off, so when I decided to pull the bolts out they are all way too F'n tight. Anyways what's some options to get the rounded bolts out so I can drop the body down? I've gotten 6 completely out but seems like the guy used a slightly larger socket on them when taking them out in the first place as they all are slightly rounded.
Thanks

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
Ya the socket extractors came across my mind as I have two sets of them but unfortunately not one small enough. I may see if I can find one to fit and replace all the bolts with new ones.

LBZ1991

Nov 21, 2014
Winfield, MO
I had one round off in mine. I had to cut the head off. Once I pulled the valve body off it released the pressure off the bolt and backed out by hand.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
If a extractor is not available, use some good vice grips, if that doesn't work your cutting the head off. I have had some luck with ponding a diff. size socket onto rounded off bolts. You have to stick the socket and bolt in a vice and use a punch to get them apart sometimes.

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
You have a customer come in.... and your on here needing help removing over tightened bolts. Sorry man but if you have customers, and your stuck on stuck bolts you shouldnt have customers... removing frozen bolts is mechanical 101. Dont get me wrong i love saving the day on these but i wouldnt come on a transmission forum asking for help to remove bolts.:roflmao:

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
You have a customer come in.... and your on here needing help removing over tightened bolts. Sorry man but if you have customers, and your stuck on stuck bolts you shouldnt have customers... removing frozen bolts is mechanical 101. Dont get me wrong i love saving the day on these but i wouldnt come on a transmission forum asking for help to remove bolts.:roflmao:

Like I said I wanted different opinions and advice from the good people on this forum while I was at work as I haven't had time to even mess with the truck since then. Yes removing stripped rounded bolts is easy (sometimes). But don't even try to step on my toes and my mechanical background :thumb: But why be a smart ass about how I do things? I don't get some of you guys that come on this forum and start bashing. For what? You must like to drink (Budneeds2beers) so in guessing you get to drinking come on forums find a post to bash on to make yourself feel better. Your not making yourself look funny to anyone else on this forum but making yourself look like a troll. But hey glad I could make your night with my OP :rofl:

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
Awe man, I'm super hungover from a long night of drinking and trolling! Well hey. No one is going to step on your toes over your mechanical ability. We will leave that up to you. :beer2:

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Awe man, I'm super hungover from a long night of drinking and trolling! Well hey. No one is going to step on your toes over your mechanical ability. We will leave that up to you. :beer2:

If thats what your here for go away. This is a serious board, your kind is not wanted nor needed. Either contribute or go back to the DF and troll away...;)

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
If thats what your here for go away. This is a serious board, your kind is not wanted nor needed. Either contribute or go back to the DF and troll away...;)
I feel this way too, just can't be as extreme in how i voice it anymore.
I'll just ask that the rhetoric be dialed down by everyone, ok?

I can understand the o/p reason to ask. Valve bodies aren't cheap and who wants to wreck a perfectly good one?

Last edited:

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
I can understand the o/p reason to ask. Valve bodies aren't cheap and who wants to wreck a perfectly good one?

Yes sir Tom, I like to do things right and the best, easiest way possible if I can. I have a lot of respect for this board as I've leaned ALOT from this place and I am never afraid to ask any type of question at anytime because I've always gotten help and I know there's got to be someone here that's ran into the ran problem before. Plus who doesn't want to get different ideas, options and advice from experienced people :thumb:

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Hey guys in need of some advice. Have a customer come in that after he installed a trans go jr the trans started acting up really bad, so I pulled it in the shop and noticed right away that a couple of the bolts are rounded off, so when I decided to pull the bolts out they are all way too F'n tight. Anyways what's some options to get the rounded bolts out so I can drop the body down? I've gotten 6 completely out but seems like the guy used a slightly larger socket on them when taking them out in the first place as they all are slightly rounded.
Thanks

Someone may have a better idea, IIRC there is great homemade tool on here for removing stuck injectors, works better than anything you can buy...:thumb: :thumb:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
One of those induction heating tools would probably do the job. I use mine on stuck bell housing bolts. They are pricy though.