Using LLY bridge without EGR components

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
What is everyone doing, when removing the entire EGR heat exchanger, to keep the bridge & elbow together? It seems like it will come apart without the heat exchanger holding the elbow in place.

Short of a tackweld, does anyone have a good way to permanently attach these parts?

Thanks,
Lonnie

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
What I did was took out the cooler, installed a LB7 pipe, and srtipped the valve. I then made a pair of blocker plates to go between the valve block and intake housing. This way no EGR cooler in the way of the LBZ inlet, and the intake is supported. Better solution would be a bracket to take the place of the valve, but I lack the fab tools to make one :).

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
What is everyone doing, when removing the entire EGR heat exchanger, to keep the bridge & elbow together? It seems like it will come apart without the heat exchanger holding the elbow in place.

Short of a tackweld, does anyone have a good way to permanently attach these parts?

Thanks,
Lonnie

Depends on what you want to spend:angel: But it needs some support or it will leak,If it doesnt leak your not pushing enough boost:D

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
What I did was took out the cooler, installed a LB7 pipe, and srtipped the valve. I then made a pair of blocker plates to go between the valve block and intake housing. This way no EGR cooler in the way of the LBZ inlet, and the intake is supported. Better solution would be a bracket to take the place of the valve, but I lack the fab tools to make one :).

I did the same thing you will also need some 5/8s hose to bypass the EGR cooler:)

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
here is what i did w/ mine.

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
1lowdiesel, Good idea with the plate. I have to make something to block the 2 egr ports anyway, this will work well.

Simon, True I could use a LB7 one, but I already painted the one I had.

Michael, I removed it since it was 1 more piece of clutter under the hood I did not need. There is too much junk on this engine. Check out the pic in my avatar.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
Replace it with something like this:D Pretty easy to build

Attachments

• SS LLY 002.JPG
    SS LLY 002.JPG
    571.8 KB · Views: 45
  • lly egr intake 002.JPG
    lly egr intake 002.JPG
    846.5 KB · Views: 50

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
What supports that tube though? looks as if it still bolts to the elbow and hangs there? Still needs something to Support it so it wont blow the o rings out of the front of the bridge.

I believe it does have a bracket, it's just not welded on in that picture. Larry Jewel has one IIRC.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
What supports that tube though? looks as if it still bolts to the elbow and hangs there? Still needs something to Support it so it wont blow the o rings out of the front of the bridge.

It has 2 brackets, could prob lift the motor by it.

Since you already have a jig built...:D

I find it much easier to build parts on trucks rather than a jig. My imagineation can run wild when I have a truck:D