Used truck prices

kheims

Oct 7, 2012
Hey guys curious where everybody these days is getting their used truck values at these days. I’ve been looking around and it seems that used truck prices especially diesel trucks not just gm have gone crazy. Even the dealership guys seem to be high even with trucks close to 200,000 miles. I always look at kbb and nada. Just curious if people are using dart boards with prices on it whatever they hit is what they use. There’s been a few on this forum I’ve seen that are over priced. Are people actually paying these prices or are they marked high to weed out the low ballers. Just curious because in the next year or so I plan on getting another one but I don’t want to sound like a jerk when I make an offer on one using the value I find on kbb or nada and it’s like 5-10k lower then what is being asked. Just looking for good conversation here. And yes when I check the values of the trucks I always put in the zip code of where the truck is located and 9 out of 10 trucks I check are always way above value price. Help me and others out when looking for trucks.

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
Good, older, clean trucks and bringing good money. You can't go by what kbb or nada says. If you do, you'll get a worn out beat to crap truck that needs a lot of work. If you want a good, clean truck be prepared to pay up or find something else.

VEfreak

Oct 18, 2018
If you're willing to check craigslists multiple time a day then you can get a deal. I just picked up my 2006 LBZ 4x4 CC LB for 5K. Sure it's got 340,000 miles but it runs like a dream and the transmission fluid looked great (shifts well too). The previous owner (original) did all the scheduled maintenance at the dealer. I did a front end job myself with new shocks and tires all the way around and I've got a great truck for under 8K.

If you're not afraid to sweat and bust some knuckles you can get a nice used truck for reasonably cheap.

kheims

Oct 7, 2012
And this is how I ended up with a new 2018 L5P lol

This has been what I have been seeing. Guys buying brand new because the used prices have gotten out of hand to me anyways. Some have been good right on the money but most not.

kheims

Oct 7, 2012
If you're willing to check craigslists multiple time a day then you can get a deal. I just picked up my 2006 LBZ 4x4 CC LB for 5K. Sure it's got 340,000 miles but it runs like a dream and the transmission fluid looked great (shifts well too). The previous owner (original) did all the scheduled maintenance at the dealer. I did a front end job myself with new shocks and tires all the way around and I've got a great truck for under 8K.

If you're not afraid to sweat and bust some knuckles you can get a nice used truck for reasonably cheap.

Oh don’t have to worry about me working on it. I do all my own work on all of our vehicles.

kheims

Oct 7, 2012
I think the $70k price tag on the new ones is helping keep the price of nice clean used trucks higher.

I kinda was thinking the same. Even though I’ve seen personally people pay less then 60 for the high country and Denali ones. Anyways I thought this would make for a good conversation with you guys. Always enjoy coming on here and seeing what’s going on and who’s building what these days.

VEfreak

Oct 18, 2018
Oh don’t have to worry about me working on it. I do all my own work on all of our vehicles.

I think most of the people that are members on sites like this do, when they can. For the average joe just trying to buy a used truck in good condition that they won't have to do work on, the price is going to be what I consider outrageous. The same truck that I got for 5K is selling for 15-20K with 200,000 miles in good condition. I saw some as high as 30K.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
I paid $15,000 for my ‘07 crew short classic earlier this year. It had 290,000 miles. It needed some work but nothing horrible. I searched 4 states on Craigslist and it was on the cheaper side. Even 2wd trucks were going for more money. Deals are out there you just have to be patient. I looked for about 4-5 months.

VEfreak

Oct 18, 2018
Truck prices are crazy like they were in 2007 before the market crash, only now there's 10 years of inflation and new truck prices have skyrocketed too.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
And don't forget, diesel trucks are "cool" these days, everyone wants one but few actually need one. So market responds by having prices for em stay pretty high.

That and while it may not be a issue for you, some folks want to get a non emissions or easier to delete truck so the older gen trucks are the way to go.

CHBlbz85

Sep 5, 2018
Prices in Florida seem to be low right now. Not much selling. I have a 08 gmc 2500 extended cab z71 SLT with 167k miles listed at 18.5k and not a single legit offer in 4 months.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
I'm truck shopping right now. I can get a fully loaded 2015 GMC Sierra SLT 1/2 ton with factory warranty for less than a 10 year old low mile Duramax. Trucks with close to 200k are still going for mid to high 20s around here.