Up in flames!

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
Wouldn’t it be possible to plumb in bungs to hook up and external oil exchanger that you could use in the pits between runs? I would think this could help speed up cool down especially if you can find a way to cool the oil before it goes in the motor. But I don’t really know what I’m talking about just thinking out loud

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
Thanks Brett, but it's almost to the point of taking it back apart for paint and powder. The seat is being covered in black leather with houndstooth panels,the bed is finished, and a little fab work on the steering sector to do. I'll make all the brake lines and fuel lines after paint. It's slow go and my stack is depleted. I would post some pics but I don't know how. I would love to have it done by Spring but there's a lot left to do, and Spring is my busy season. Dad bought this truck new, and I would love for him to drive it while he still can, being as he's 91 now. I want it to look sort of like it came out of the factory, all factory trim, no shiny engine parts, etc. My plan is to drive it a lot and race it some. We reworked Brett's trailer hitch to fit around different tank, and I plan on pulling a trailer to the track for my slicks and jack.

Feel free to send them to me Brent and I'll load them on your own thread!

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
Wouldn’t it be possible to plumb in bungs to hook up and external oil exchanger that you could use in the pits between runs? I would think this could help speed up cool down especially if you can find a way to cool the oil before it goes in the motor. But I don’t really know what I’m talking about just thinking out loud
I thought about doing this for my transmission but never really thought about it for my engine.
2729e584b5cdef8e890af05216e04b9a.jpg
293712ba02ea82686d8f3a62e34b43d5.jpg
5bc67fc6960ad9eaf65adac908efe606.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana

The issue isn't necessarily the oil being hot, it's the hot engine parts inside that you are trying to cool back down. On a solid motor without extra oil cooling after a 7 sec pass at 1700-1800hp the valve covers will be over 300* which is to the point of coking to start plus you get into swelling parts and sticking stuff and bad noises. On our engines that we build in housing for the big stuff like this we use a dry sump with external oil cooler and we can make a pass every 15 minutes on the engine dyno during tuning sessions. With the standalone being able to program while running we have ran the solid motor for 4 hrs without shutting it off because the cooling ability of a setup like this.
This setup that Brett is showing would be great if you could get it to pressurize the oil system itself and flow fresh cool oil throughout the entire engine and that would be awesome!