Under the knife

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
2002 CCSB Going under the knife. All new brake lines from GM were $115. The line going to the rear was rusted out between the frame rail and fuel tank. I opted to take the bed off because, while its down, I'm going to put some POR15 on the whole frame and such.

The brake lines arent a hard job, just a little intimidating at first. I chose to replace the hardest ones first, which for me is the rear and the front right brake. I've got both of those in now. The thing that I would suggest to anyone doing the hard lines replacement is:
1.) Take your time and be patient. Sometimes when it gets frustrating it's best to walk away for a few minutes and then go back at it.
2.) Make sure your lines go back in the "keepers" and are not resting anywhere on the frame. I guess that's overstating the obvious, but if you're the kind of person that takes shortcuts, don't do it, you'll be replacing lines again if the get a hole rubbed into it.

While she's in the shop I will be replacing injectors as well. Im going with 45 SACs. I will go with Lincoln's complete kit with the lift pump. I'll go with the FASS 165.

I think it also needs a water pump. I'm assuming that is the bad noise (impeller slipping) in the front. I've never replaced the pump on a Duramax. Anybody with experience knowing what a bad impeller sounds like (if anything)? It doesn't do it all the time. The worst is when it first started cold. How would I be able to tell if it's an impeller or a pulley?

Putting Sulastics and new shocks on the rear too.

Still deciding the tuning route.

Need to figure out my issues with trailer brake controller as well.

One more question before I go: does the small tube in the fuel full neck HAVE TO stay, or is safe to remove (if it can be removed)?
8fcc69c9dbb3225fe2a8684cab17ce4c.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
One more question before I go: does the small tube in the fuel full neck HAVE TO stay, or is safe to remove (if it can be removed)?
8fcc69c9dbb3225fe2a8684cab17ce4c.jpg

It doesn't have to stay but it's the vent for a while you're fueling up. So it would probably take forever to fill up your tank without it. Plus be messy when the air burps out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
It doesn't have to stay but it's the vent for a while you're fueling up. So it would probably take forever to fill up your tank without it. Plus be messy when the air burps out.

OK...I was thinking that its the reason why it stops the fuel nozzle from filling faster. No problem.

You've been around a while, what say you in regards to the water pump?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I have no experience bad water pumps unless its coming out the weep hole. Run your truck without the serpentine belt on it and if it doesnt make noise you know it not the pump.

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
Take off the belt and spin all the pulleys don't forget to spin the alternator also.

The brake line replacement is fairly easy, the hardest line for me is the passenger front. You have to be patient with it when snaking it across. I have never taken the bed off before to do them but being able to get ahead of the frame rust is a good idea.

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
Take off the belt and spin all the pulleys don't forget to spin the alternator also.

The brake line replacement is fairly easy, the hardest line for me is the passenger front. You have to be patient with it when snaking it across. I have never taken the bed off before to do them but being able to get ahead of the frame rust is a good idea.
"OK" on the pulleys.

I agree on the passenger side brake line. The way I did it was I fed the line in the bottom bumper balance, center hole, and kept the last two bends. Then, straightened them once it was all fed to the ABS controller. It was harder getting the old one out IMO.

Got all of the lines in and tightens at the rotors. Now I am putting a "new" brake booster I bought off WisconsinHick a little while back.

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
Got the injectors in and lift pump.

Moonshine tuning.

I have to say I am really impressed with how the truck runs. Its very snappy! Cant wait for a tow test.

45% SAC