U-Joint cap torque specs?

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
i can not find them anywhere. i tried the search button but i got nothing. does anybody know where they are or what they are? and also what is lug nut torque specs.

Last edited:

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
18 ft lbs? that doesnt seem like much. but the bolts do look pretty small.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
alldata told me 53 ft lbs with washers and 101 ft lbs with washers....unless I looked at the wrong thing....dont believe i did though

JMDuramaxLB7

YOU SAID MEMBER!!!
Jun 3, 2007
Missouri
Just pinch em tight as you can with a wrench and you will be fine. Some of you fella's get too anal about torque specs on every little thing on these trucks. Engine and tranny stuff yeah but u-joint bolts, give me a break..My family has been in the automotive repair business for over 50 years and i guarantee you we have never worried about torque specs on u-joint cap bolts. And no we have never had a customer come back because his u-joint cap bolt fell out and we have never broke one installing them either. They are usually rusted in there so tight when you try to remove them that a torch and lots of penetrating oil become your best friend and thats when they try to break off.

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
i dont torque everything. why does it matter if i torque everything? i got the tools to do it. so might as well. to make sure

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Just pinch em tight as you can with a wrench and you will be fine. Some of you fella's get too anal about torque specs on every little thing on these trucks. Engine and tranny stuff yeah but u-joint bolts, give me a break..My family has been in the automotive repair business for over 50 years and i guarantee you we have never worried about torque specs on u-joint cap bolts. And no we have never had a customer come back because his u-joint cap bolt fell out and we have never broke one installing them either. They are usually rusted in there so tight when you try to remove them that a torch and lots of penetrating oil become your best friend and thats when they try to break off.

in your business, its about getting the car in, fixing the issue as quickly and correclty as possible and getting it out for the next car. Flat rate does that to mechanics and while yes msot people dont torque everything ( i dont for one), some people do for peice of mind. while you have not broke one yet due to overtorquing or under torqueing, whos to say that issue wont arise tomorrow? things can happen and some feel its better to play it safe. I was a mechanic to for a long time and never torqued those bolts and never had an issue but things can happen. Torqueing only reduces those chances but it cost the mechanic on flat rate, time.

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
im sure in a couple years i wont be torquing everything. but i still think it is important specially on my personal vehicle. and IMO in any mechanic job. making sure things are done right. and important things like these that are torqued, protects your ass if it comes back for something failing that you worked on. JMO tho

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
im sure in a couple years i wont be torquing everything. but i still think it is important specially on my personal vehicle. and IMO in any mechanic job. making sure things are done right. and important things like these that are torqued, protects your ass if it comes back for something failing that you worked on. JMO tho

Nope i agree but to me, there is a line between when to torque and when a good "snug" feeling is good. not even my personal vehicle gets those bolts torqued but i trust myself in what i tighten them to. this is one of those subjects everyone is different on because no one applys the same torque to a bolt and no body agrees on where that line lies to torque or not. Im not saying its the right way, if that were the case you would "go by the book". its personal prefernce and your trust in the mechanic. Guess thats my biggest reason why i wont let another shop touch my truck unless i fully trust the guy working on it on a personal level.

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
im sure i wont torque things in a couple years. im 19 i just wanna make sure things dont break that could have been prevented.

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
i think thats a good practice. no reason not to if you can. :D

i think it is! but thats just me. thats what they taught us in school. so that might be what im used to lol. idk just covering up my butt right now! soon i wont care.