twisted axle tube

mudygmc

Dec 8, 2008
Buffalo MN
Hey guys I was putting my truck back together after tearing it apart on the pulling track. I was putting my rearend back together and noticed that my spring perches didn't seem to line up. I crawled further under and noticed that the plug weld was missing from the right side of the differential. The weld broke and I twisted the axle tube. Inspecting the plug hole it is all rusty and not at all deformed from the weld. The plug didn't penetrate the cast at all. I plan on heating the diff case and twisting the tube back. I am going to add a few stich welds to the side of the case and the tube. The plug looked to be doing next to nothing. I haven't heard of anybody having this trouble with a dmax before so I thought I would share. Might be a good idea to put a few welds on the side of the case. Could save you a few pennies.

eds04max

May 7, 2008
Landis, N.C.
Yeah, although it hasn't happened to me........I heard some talk of it some time-ago and decided to go ahead a stitch-weld mine this past spring. Hopefully, it'll help.:thumb: