Question: twins

meanmachine

Blowing money to go fast
May 5, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
Hey guys, I finally got my twins installed last weekend on my truck and am trying to find some answers about my wastegate. With it hooked up and my boost valve I only see 38 psi of boost. I unhooked it and plugged the line and on my race tune I could reach 58 psi then. But.... on my second pass down the road on the race tune I blew a hole in the boot coming off the stock turbo. Talked to Tony B and he hasnt heard of anyone having issues with twins and his boot so he is hooking me up with a new one(Thanks Tony:thumb:). Question is what are you guys with twins doing about the stock wastegate in a S475/stocker setup. Does anyone make an adjustable wastegate to keep it from going over 50-56 psi or is everyone running BOV's and no wastegate? Thanks Erik.

Might have just been a freak thing but dont want to have to replace this boot too many times even if Tony covers it.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Hey guys, I finally got my twins installed last weekend on my truck and am trying to find some answers about my wastegate. With it hooked up and my boost valve I only see 38 psi of boost. I unhooked it and plugged the line and on my race tune I could reach 58 psi then. But.... on my second pass down the road on the race tune I blew a hole in the boot coming off the stock turbo. Talked to Tony B and he hasnt heard of anyone having issues with twins and his boot so he is hooking me up with a new one(Thanks Tony:thumb:). Question is what are you guys with twins doing about the stock wastegate in a S475/stocker setup. Does anyone make an adjustable wastegate to keep it from going over 50-56 psi or is everyone running BOV's and no wastegate? Thanks Erik.

Might have just been a freak thing but dont want to have to replace this boot too many times even if Tony covers it.

most of us run a manual boost contoller on the stock turbo to "tune" it. a banks big head wastegate will do the same. what size tune is giving your 38 psi? on my big tune (2900pw), WOT, and stock wastegate i saw 42-45 psi. when i parked it, i was running 50-55psi on the same tune and jsut putting trents little boost controller on and messing with it. the 58psi isnt gaining you anything and probably causing un-needed drive pressure. Id drop it down some if you can

meanmachine

Blowing money to go fast
May 5, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
I was only seeing 38 psi cause my factory wastegate was opening I figured. It didnt really matter what tune I ran but it was always my higher ones and they are from Rob. So the Banks big head is adjustable up to around 50-55 psi then? Where can I get a manual boost controler or are guys making them? Right now its either wastegated and doesnt go over 38 psi or unhook it and can see 58 at WOT on race tune.

Jscherbs

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Oct 27, 2009
Canton, MI
James! more info on the boost controll your using! I'm not using one at all with the factory wastegate setting with bd boost valve and im seeing 50-55 lbs of boost on the race tune

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
James! more info on the boost controll your using! I'm not using one at all with the factory wastegate setting with bd boost valve and im seeing 50-55 lbs of boost on the race tune

its one trent provides with his kit. thats about all i know lol. i couldnt even tell ya what it looks like as its been 3 months since the last time i was under my hood of the truck.

xcablb7

Feb 8, 2009
Fall River
compressor pressure regulator, use that to control boost to the gate, less boost to the gate more total boost pressure

meanmachine

Blowing money to go fast
May 5, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
xcablb7 do you by chance have a pic of the one your using or a link to where you got it. Are you just talking about a basic adjustable compressor pressure regulator like with a dial on top for adjusting and most have a guage right on them too? Usually come with 1/4 NPT ports and some have a moisture drain off the bottom?

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
1st pic is a compressor regulator. the second is the crack pipe i currently use.

Attachments

• P1000241.JPG
    P1000241.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 24
  • P1000242.JPG
    P1000242.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 33

xcablb7

Feb 8, 2009
Fall River
Yep the ones with the gauge and npt ports are the ones, i'm currently using a boost controller from my buddies eclipse, but am prob gonna change to the regulator