Twins with Twins, Anyone?

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Eh, highly doubt it.

Not knocking the project or work done, at all. I just have a lot of experience with off shore boats and engines. Would love nothing more than to be wrong here!

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Eh, highly doubt it.

Not knocking the project or work done, at all. I just have a lot of experience with off shore boats and engines. Would love nothing more than to be wrong here!

What do you think of the Skater that Wagler is building?? Endurance WOT boat or nah??

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I don't know anything about their engines.

I just remembered these engines are using aftermarket cranks! Oops, that changes a lot!

Even still, we've had the best luck with outboards.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I just want to put a stock Dmax in my wakeboat one day.. It's already got a 400hp 6.0 in it.. Just a stock Lly/ lbz would be sweet. Dmax store did it on one but I don't know if they ever finished it.. Kid turbo posted in their thread on another forum im on.

Hawk 40

Oct 30, 2014
Sarasota
I understand that wakeboat came out pretty good, and not too much $$.
If the marine parts were more commonly available I think they'd be in a lot of boats now.
I'm skeptical about high hp, except around the bay or lake. 100mi offshore not so much.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Even still, we've had the best luck with outboards.

Depends on the size of the boat really, but if you count out boats over 37' I agree that outboards are much more reliable. There is the weight distribution penalty though and these speed obsessed guys just want to go faster. Haha

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I understand that wakeboat came out pretty good, and not too much $$.
If the marine parts were more commonly available I think they'd be in a lot of boats now.
I'm skeptical about high hp, except around the bay or lake. 100mi offshore not so much.

Last I knew they were testing props and that was it.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I think the skater guy got tired of waiting on his engines and installed a pair of Cummins

Yeah I talked to Tyson about it the other day. That whole deal is history...

But he's not happy with the twin 500hp Cummins performance in that big cat either. Hard to build a boat based around 2400hp+, then cut it back to 1000hp total. He's also waiting for me to get these puppies on a dyno. Just need to get turbo's mounted up, then ready to fire.

Problem now, finding a dyno setup I can run them on with SAE 3 bellhousings, or thru transmissions. I really wanted to use Mark's setup, but he only has GM bolt pattern adapters. With all the accessories like electric pumps, coolers, and offshore engine mounts, it's looking more like maybe at Innovation. I'm planing to hit the PRI show next weekend and maybe swing by Mark's to see what the options are.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I just want to put a stock Dmax in my wakeboat one day.. It's already got a 400hp 6.0 in it.. Just a stock Lly/ lbz would be sweet. Dmax store did it on one but I don't know if they ever finished it.. Kid turbo posted in their thread on another forum im on.

I haven't seen any updates on that boat in a while either. They started out with very low gearing like 2:1, and have limited prop dia due to their shaft setup. It performs great for wake boarding I hear.

Stock bottom end at around 500hp is a good approach in my book. My buddy in CA I've been trying to get sorted out for a year now keeps blowing engines before I can fly out there to tune on it. He's on engine #3 this year. Stock setup with compounds, smoked a piston in a month. Upgraded to a new PPE build, which made it 8hrs then broke the crank and trashed the block. Had Guy build him a full stoker, which lasted about 4hrs before smoking a forged piston at 1600Egt. He's even with my count now on attempts, and still at only 750-800hp in a heavy heavy boat..

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I haven't seen any updates on that boat in a while either. They started out with very low gearing like 2:1, and have limited prop dia due to their shaft setup. It performs great for wake boarding I hear.

Stock bottom end at around 500hp is a good approach in my book. My buddy in CA I've been trying to get sorted out for a year now keeps blowing engines before I can fly out there to tune on it. He's on engine #3 this year. Stock setup with compounds, smoked a piston in a month. Upgraded to a new PPE build, which made it 8hrs then broke the crank and trashed the block. Had Guy build him a full stoker, which lasted about 4hrs before smoking a forged piston at 1600Egt. He's even with my count now on attempts, and still at only 750-800hp in a heavy heavy boat..

I don't want to go fast, just pull 10k out of the hole and to full plane at 23mph in about 10sec (what the 6.0 will do with a 15x12 prop) and still run 35-40.. However the 6.0 has almost 3k more rpm avalable then a stock dmax.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Dave; I'd say that's a good way to put it.. :hug: Ya know how things goes with those million dollar "sponsored" projects.
Long as that ain't my million, won't take sides. Also reason I don't get all upset seeing these failures in my friends build. To many fingers been in there to armchair QB each issue. But I did put Fingers fingers in my build if that counts.... lol

clrussell; if you dropped a stock Dmax in there and changed nothing else, it would get on plane in about half that time. However 23mph probably be your top speed also. Shaft speed, prop dia and pitch all come into play. When changing to diesel you've gotta gear it much higher to compensate for that RPM loss. Luckily your torque curve is way lower also. So you've gotta change gearing or at least big prop pitch to match the diesel torque curve.

Back in the day many of the offshore race boats ran big diesels with multi-speed transmissions. I've followed that same approach on this build, plus added a quick change drive setup that allows us to run any possible gear ratio we need. These drives were designed by Pat Weismann for military boats with big diesels. And the transmissions are a 2spd with 1.5:1 and 1:1 gearing. Those were actually designed and built by Tyson G who owns the cat project mentioned above. :rolleyes:

Here is what I "expect" for boat speed vs RPM based off the setup I am starting with. Green is shift speed and red is redline. Once we see how close that is to actual, we can change prop or gearing to move the engine load up or down to match the torque curve. At least that's the plan.

Attachments

• Boat-Speed-2spd-35P-Shift.jpg
    Boat-Speed-2spd-35P-Shift.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Boat-Speed-2spd-35P-Redline.jpg
    Boat-Speed-2spd-35P-Redline.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 58

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Dave; I'd say that's a good way to put it.. :hug: Ya know how things goes with those million dollar "sponsored" projects.
Long as that ain't my million, won't take sides. Also reason I don't get all upset seeing these failures in my friends build. To many fingers been in there to armchair QB each issue. But I did put Fingers fingers in my build if that counts.... lol

clrussell; if you dropped a stock Dmax in there and changed nothing else, it would get on plane in about half that time. However 23mph probably be your top speed also. Shaft speed, prop dia and pitch all come into play. When changing to diesel you've gotta gear it much higher to compensate for that RPM loss. Luckily your torque curve is way lower also. So you've gotta change gearing or at least big prop pitch to match the diesel torque curve.

Back in the day many of the offshore race boats ran big diesels with multi-speed transmissions. I've followed that same approach on this build, plus added a quick change drive setup that allows us to run any possible gear ratio we need. These drives were designed by Pat Weismann for military boats with big diesels. And the transmissions are a 2spd with 1.5:1 and 1:1 gearing. Those were actually designed and built by Tyson G who owns the cat project mentioned above. :rolleyes:

Here is what I "expect" for boat speed vs RPM based off the setup I am starting with. Green is shift speed and red is redline. Once we see how close that is to actual, we can change prop or gearing to move the engine load up or down to match the torque curve. At least that's the plan.

I think you could run a lower pitch prop than my old 15x12 and still do what I want.. It's a dream not really ever expected to happen lol.. But if it does I'll get ahold of you

Hawk 40

Oct 30, 2014
Sarasota
I think when you get beyond 450-500 HP in stock or near stock duramax marine set up, you better have sea tow on speed dial.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana

That's hilarious, I talked to him for 1/2hr today about his project. Cool dude to talk to and a neat project. You boat guys got me all worked up about them now, lol!:D

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
That's hilarious, I talked to him for 1/2hr today about his project. Cool dude to talk to and a neat project. You boat guys got me all worked up about them now, lol!:D

You can help me with my boat ;)

But in all seriousness your welcome on it anytime. I've got cold beverages on tap