Twins on stock motor

Sep 10, 2008
Morehead City, North Carolina
How many guys are running twins on a stock motor? I really want to twin my 4088 but not sure how long the motor would last even with conservative tuning. What all would have to be done besides the bigger charger and tubing?

diamondshocks

crash skippy racing
Feb 15, 2009
Fargo, NS
www.diamondshocks.com
they will last pretty well if tuned right. its a little harder with a non wastegated small turbo but you can make it work. besides the turbo and tubing you need ot worry aobut oil feed wastegate being piped in (highly suggest putting a boost controller on it) and also time, its going to take some time to fab it all up.

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
i have no fueling upgrades. i run about 30psi on my stock-ish tune. with all the bad weather i have not run anything bigger yet maybe today i'll put my new tow tune in.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
1st of all all i can tell you is what i have learned on my truck in the last few weeks . the top charger will have to be gated on a stock motor , with my gate all the way open on a 2800 usec shot of fuel i hit 50-55 psi boost dep. on elevation , with the gate 1/2 tight i tag 60 psi very easy , i am in the procsess of moding my gate on the s300 to flow more to lower boost . out of that 55 psi 22-23 is coming from the big charger the rest from the little , so you see that the big one is not the problem the little is creating the overboost . this setup would be fine for a built motor but for a stocker its a little high . you will love the setup its total no compramise plane bad ass but i have no garentee's for you or myself on the motor holding

on edit to answer your question yes if your are conservative with tuning your motor will live the question is will you be able to be conservative ? because even small tunes will run alot harder with the twins . so far mine has survived 15 or so dyno pulls and 15 or so 1/4 passesd and plenty of wide open street runns up to 50-60 psi so who no's . fuel system is stock other than a lift pump and gravity feed pick up from hellman .

Last edited:

ZR1160

TT Dmax Junkie
Jan 12, 2007
Eastern Canada
I put over 80k with twins on a stock motor with a single cp3......Its the fuel that makes boost, so you could put a big set of twins on a stock motor, and after you get the motor built add another CP3:D

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I put over 80k with twins on a stock motor with a single cp3......Its the fuel that makes boost, so you could put a big set of twins on a stock motor, and after you get the motor built add another CP3:D

while i agree with your statement i never thought so little fuel would make so much boost , its not a bad thing :driving: i just never thought it would do it , 2800 usec 50-60 psi dep on gate setting , 2600 usec 48-55 psi dep on gate setting . stock injectors 24200 psi cammanded . have not tried anything smaller yet .

Last edited:

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
i'm running "small twins" lbz stocker + masterpower gt45 without a wastegate. for now til i get my second boost gauge in i'm running a mild-almost stock tune. the variable vanes on the stocker are key when not running a wastegate, a lot more forgiving imo

i have no plans of making enough power to blow my motor. even hoping my stock trans holds up if all goes to plan. :) the twins are great for towing, which i do a lot of, and just the cool factor!

Last edited:

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
while i agree with your statement i never thought so little fuel would make so much boost , its not a bad thing :driving: i just never thought it would do it , 2800 usec 50-60 psi dep on gate setting , 2600 usec 48-55 psi dep on gate setting . stock injectors 24200 psi cammanded . have not tried anything smaller yet .

You are right Trent, but you are running a big set of twins, the original ones for the lb7, lly and lbz won't have that much boost unless you really fuel them, (been there done that on my 02, 8 bent rods to show for it). I running what Nathan calls his small set on my 07 classic, I hold the boost to 43 lbs on my stock motor and have zero problems. I don't run an all out race tune in it, just one Rob calls a hot street tune. Runs great, good egts, great mpg if you don't hot rod it too much and does very respectable at the track.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Im on Rob's race tune 90% of the time, even to/from work! It see's around 52lb boost up top. I probably beat my truck harder then 90% of trucks on this site. I Race, Pull, Wheel & Tow any chance I get. The only fuel upgrade is a shimmed FPRV, ported fitting, and PPE lift pump. It holds rail almost perfect (Rob was suprized).

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
You are right Trent, but you are running a big set of twins, the original ones for the lb7, lly and lbz won't have that much boost unless you really fuel them, (been there done that on my 02, 8 bent rods to show for it). I running what Nathan calls his small set on my 07 classic, I hold the boost to 43 lbs on my stock motor and have zero problems. I don't run an all out race tune in it, just one Rob calls a hot street tune. Runs great, good egts, great mpg if you don't hot rod it too much and does very respectable at the track.

Yes that is true , but he is suggesting a similar build but with a non gated small charger , with a large charger identical to mine. i just want him to be clear what to expect . i wish i had efi i would love to try out some of robs tunes . he has been kind enough to share some info to help with my tuning though :hug:

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2008
Morehead City, North Carolina
Well the majority of that makes sense except the tunes. I am running a good hot tune with my 4088 right now. If I were to go with twins, obviously I would have to run a lot more mild tune but would the performance still be there? What I guess I am trying to say is I push around 40 lbs of boost with that 4088 and if I went with twins and pushed roughly the same, would my truck still be as fast?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Well the majority of that makes sense except the tunes. I am running a good hot tune with my 4088 right now. If I were to go with twins, obviously I would have to run a lot more mild tune but would the performance still be there? What I guess I am trying to say is I push around 40 lbs of boost with that 4088 and if I went with twins and pushed roughly the same, would my truck still be as fast?

I went .4-.5 sec quicker and gained 5mph on a tune with 450 usec less then my old race tune .

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
What was the difference in boost? Would from a roll and streetability still be about the same?

boost was 50-55 psi , i will see how it does at a lower boost i have a few peices in the works to get the boost down , and as far as street ability 0-8 psi is the same as with just the s300 , from there up everything spools faster .

ZR1160

TT Dmax Junkie
Jan 12, 2007
Eastern Canada
That's the whole beauty of the twins, your top turbo will give you the streetabilty with the bottom providing the big power....even on a stock single CP3....then build the motor and add another CP3 and some big stix and away you go!