Turn signal staying lit up when headlights on

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
So add a resistor to the 194s up front or not? Lol kinda got derailed. I havent had much time to dig into it as ive been rebuilding my cluster.
Read my earlier post and it should answer your question. What I did worked for me and fixed all my problems. My truck is an 07 Classic body style LBZ. I am not sure if it will work with newer years.

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
Thats what I thought if the lights are on or in the auto position. It seems like with the headlight switch turned off/ overridden they flash together.
That is correct. Headlights off and they flash together. Headlights on they alternate flashing. With out the resistor on the 194s and the headlights ON they did not flash right. With the headlights OFF they worked fine. Adding the resistor on one of the 194 bulbs fix my problem. Resistor I used was a 50w 6ohm.

Last edited:

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
That is correct. Headlights off and the flasher together. Headlights on they alternate flashing. With out the resistor on the 194s and the headlights ON they did not flash right. With the headlights OFF they worked fine. Adding the resistor on one of the 194 bulbs fix my problem. Resistor I used was a 50w 6ohm.

Ok, so mine are flashing correctly then, back feeding is my only issue.

What were the 194's doing that they didn't flash right? I'm just trying to learn here.

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
Ok, so mine are flashing correctly then, back feeding is my only issue.

What were the 194's doing that they didn't flash right? I'm just trying to learn here.
It was a quicker flash not a steady flash back and forth with the 3157 and headlights on. It's hard to explain.

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
some added a resistor to the 194 . mine didnt need it there (used luxer1 bulbs ). the only resistor i have is on the turn in the rear where i have led 3157 from vled.
The led flasher i had melted because i left the hazards on while loading one day , the trailer had a decent draw but i think was caused from a shitty flasher unit. moved back to a stock flasher and resistors for over a year now .

multiple ways to skin a cat, just find yours.

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
some added a resistor to the 194 . mine didnt need it there (used luxer1 bulbs ). the only resistor i have is on the turn in the rear where i have led 3157 from vled.
The led flasher i had melted because i left the hazards on while loading one day , the trailer had a decent draw but i think was caused from a shitty flasher unit. moved back to a stock flasher and resistors for over a year now .

multiple ways to skin a cat, just find yours.

After about 8 months of messing with this I think I have it licked. I had forgotten all about it until this thread popped up. Thanks Op! I have a GM Led flasher so hopefully it'll be all good, otherwise I always have the stock piece to revert to also.

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
Read my earlier post and it should answer your question. What I did worked for me and fixed all my problems. My truck is an 07 Classic body style LBZ. I am not sure if it will work with newer years.

Did you put the resistor from one wire to the other on the 194s? Or did you t tap in into just one wire on each side of the truck? Seems as im just getting some voltage feedback on the 194s as i said because when i just leave the 194s out everything works fine. Doesn't matter if its an led or inc bulb in the socket.

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
Did you put the resistor from one wire to the other on the 194s? Or did you t tap in into just one wire on each side of the truck? Seems as im just getting some voltage feedback on the 194s as i said because when i just leave the 194s out everything works fine. Doesn't matter if its an led or inc bulb in the socket.
I wired it in the two wires of one 194 bulb.

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
Alrighty wasn't sure if you used 2 resistors or 1 and if you just went off one wire or connected them across. Ill hopefully have time to play with it this weekend. Currently just have the 194s removed.

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
Alrighty wasn't sure if you used 2 resistors or 1 and if you just went off one wire or connected them across. Ill hopefully have time to play with it this weekend. Currently just have the 194s removed.
Yup just one resistor on one of the 194 bulbs. I used a 50watt 6 ohm resistor on it.

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
I finally figured this out for the last time. adding resistors to the 194's didnt do anything for me. It was the 194's I was using, they were not polarized and this allowed the back feeding of voltage through the running lights. I picked up some polarized leds for all 4 194's and everything works now. Slightly off topic, but maybe it will help someone else someday. I now have Leds everywhere using a gm led flasher, 1 resistor on each front turn signal and nothing else. All of the Leds are vleds with the exception of the 4 194's in the corner...I used sylvania zevos for those.

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
I finally figured this out for the last time. adding resistors to the 194's didnt do anything for me. It was the 194's I was using, they were not polarized and this allowed the back feeding of voltage through the running lights. I picked up some polarized leds for all 4 194's and everything works now. Slightly off topic, but maybe it will help someone else someday. I now have Leds everywhere using a gm led flasher, 1 resistor on each front turn signal and nothing else. All of the Leds are vleds with the exception of the 4 194's in the corner...I used sylvania zevos for those.
Glad you got everything to work.