Turbos is it worth it.

TKLLY

Oct 25, 2015
PNW
I have read a lot in these forums and tried to gain as much knowledge from other sources as well. Not saying I believe it all is true either. I am wondering if with stock(ish) fueling you can run twins or a better single and have higher HP that's safe for a stock rotating assembly. While still being able to tow, DD, be efficient, and have fun in.

Obviously built transmission is a must.

A. Stock Lbz

Aug 13, 2013
spokane wa
I ran a 4094vvt on a lbz with stock fuel, it was fun, made 600+rwhp and would tow very well. I had a LLY with a s475 over stock kit on stock fuel and I really liked the way that It dd, towed and hauled ass. A stock turbo built trans truck with max effort tuning was the funnest to drive I think.

carter_44

May 11, 2010
AZ
You have do a little cost/benefit analysis with yourself. On one hand, a bigger turbo in the proper setup will keep temperatures down and is arguably safer for an engine. On the other hand, with the tuning capabilities we have these days, a stock fuel truck with a drop in replacement turbo has the potential to easily make enough power to trash a stock bottom end.
So, a truck with built trans, lift pump, slightly larger turbo, and QUALITY tuning should live a good long healthy life. However, if you run that setup I hope you're prepared with a fat bank account to build an engine should the need arise.

I cracked a piston with stock air and fuel at roughly 530 rwhp. I also know of multiple trucks that have lived for years with compounds or big single configurations on stock engines. In the performance game it's all a gamble. A very expensive gamble.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I ran a 4094vvt on a lbz with stock fuel, it was fun, made 600+rwhp and would tow very well. I had a LLY with a s475 over stock kit on stock fuel and I really liked the way that It dd, towed and hauled ass. A stock turbo built trans truck with max effort tuning was the funnest to drive I think.

I just drove my truck into work today. on the tow tune, rolled into it from 2nd gear when tires brooke loose, then continued through 3rd and got out of it to make my turn.

built engine with modded stock over 483 has got to be the most fun ive had. :woott: :driving:

That said, i would run a 475 or 480 over stock and keep tuning to the 500rwhp mark as im ASSuming you have an LLY based on your screen name (give us what engine you have as it will dictate what kind of hp you can get away with). you will then be able to tow with cool EGTs, have a nice daily driver, and have a truck that makes power. you will want an engine oil air to oil cooler added to the truck if you have twins though. oil temps will get very hot with the second turbo on there and towing moderate-heavy in hot outside temps

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
I just drove my truck into work today. on the tow tune, rolled into it from 2nd gear when tires brooke loose, then continued through 3rd and got out of it to make my turn.

built engine with modded stock over 483 has got to be the most fun ive had. :woott: :driving:

That said, i would run a 475 or 480 over stock and keep tuning to the 500rwhp mark as im ASSuming you have an LLY based on your screen name (give us what engine you have as it will dictate what kind of hp you can get away with). you will then be able to tow with cool EGTs, have a nice daily driver, and have a truck that makes power. you will want an engine oil air to oil cooler added to the truck if you have twins though. oil temps will get very hot with the second turbo on there and towing moderate-heavy in hot outside temps

Amen to that

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS

I miss the simplicity of stock motor and a little 4094 but there is nothing like feeling the 83 come onto boost and just waiting for the tires to melt as you merge onto the highway.:Charger:

I think if I were starting from square one again I would do studs, an LBZ pump and 40-60% over sticks with a Danville 68R.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Hell I left it at stock sticks just because of 1.) Having to pull mine and pay to have em made bigger which would be $$$ and 2.) If I am like every red blooded male out there I can't always stay out of tune 5 and mash it and I know 40-60s would smoke the motor. Even stock will but it limits me.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Hell I left it at stock sticks just because of 1.) Having to pull mine and pay to have em made bigger which would be $$$ and 2.) If I am like every red blooded male out there I can't always stay out of tune 5 and mash it and I know 40-60s would smoke the motor. Even stock will but it limits me.

I only say injectors because you could have the tuner pull pulse and timing to make similar power more efficiently. Keeping the stock LLY pump would be the easiest way to limit power.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

Running single tunes save my ass every time i drive the truck :roflmao: :D

TKLLY

Oct 25, 2015
PNW
Yes an LLY.
I actually normally run my truck on the stock tune only recently have I been going to #4, #5 is too tough on the trans and smokes more than these damn hippies in WA.
If I did a turbo I'd put studs in just in case. Along with update the coolers to avoid costly problems.
That being said I've towed up some big grades and HW12 in ID and never had a problem, engine fan was on but I was not too hot.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Running single tunes save my ass every time i drive the truck :D
Why? I never run anything other then a max effort tune in any of my trucks... lol. I put a tow tune in my 05 once and had a Dodge try to race me. Ever since then I've never wanted to be without every ounce of power I had available. Lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
Why? I never run anything other then a max effort tune in any of my trucks... lol. I put a tow tune in my 05 once and had a Dodge try to race me. Ever since then I've never wanted to be without every ounce of power I had available. Lol

Lol it never fails. I can have the truck on max effort and never line up next to anything. The day I switch to tow tune everyone wants to race

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

Because running the all out race tune, I'll will kill things in a hurry like the drivetrain. Switching the tune up and down isn't exactly the nicest on the trans either. My tow tune is 600rwhp and I'm not exactly easy on that. It will see WOT just about every time I hop in it without a trailer on the back or like I just did Tuesday, haul a gross weight of 26-27k up the hills for a friend of mine and use just about all that power to pull the hills cause it was cold out (45*) so things stayed cool. 5th gear, 40-45psi boost and 70mph turns a lot of heads with that big of rig flying up the hills lol.

Just personal preference and what I think will help keep things together. So far so good.