turbo on lly

Deny

Oct 30, 2016
hi guys can anyone tell me what i can do to get an lly to spool up at lower rpm seems i have to be around 2200 before it gets going. What would you guys recomend with a stock turbo??? Thanks Denis

Deny

Oct 30, 2016
Yes sorry guys should have given more info. It has up pipes down pipe 5 inch exhaust egr delete, lbz air horn, it has a tune in it but dont know what it is. was bought as a wright off. it has a dsp 5 position switch. After fixing it i then put it on the road,the reason i am asking is that when you get on it of the line it only comes alive at about 20 mph and then goes pretty good. i only get about 23 lbs of boost. I did check for leaks and all is good also checked stock turbo variabelle vane and they seem to fuction fine. The rest of the truck is stock. oh the rail has a race plug in it.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Do RPMs seem to come on as quick as they should ? How many miles on eng ? What size tires ? Since the up pipes have been changed are you sure you checked them good for leaks ? Are the EFI switch wires connected and is there a change in performance when the switch is turned ? Do you have a V2 ?

830king

Oct 24, 2013
Central MN
Yes sorry guys should have given more info. It has up pipes down pipe 5 inch exhaust egr delete, lbz air horn, it has a tune in it but dont know what it is. was bought as a wright off. it has a dsp 5 position switch. After fixing it i then put it on the road,the reason i am asking is that when you get on it of the line it only comes alive at about 20 mph and then goes pretty good. i only get about 23 lbs of boost. I did check for leaks and all is good also checked stock turbo variabelle vane and they seem to fuction fine. The rest of the truck is stock. oh the rail has a race plug in it.
How are you reading boost numbers? If your reading it on a edge cts you will never see more than 23psi.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Deny

Oct 30, 2016
Do RPMs seem to come on as quick as they should ? How many miles on eng ? What size tires ? Since the up pipes have been changed are you sure you checked them good for leaks ? Are the EFI switch wires connected and is there a change in performance when the switch is turned ? Do you have a V2 ?

rpm might be a bit slow, engine has 160,000,tiers are275 65 17. no leaks on up pipes, efi wiered and working. no v2, only edge cts

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
23 is what the factory sensor maxes at so you’re most likely making more just need a modded sensor or a mechanical gauge. LLY’s are known to be kinda laggy in stock form. Also depends on your tuning. Careful with that trans. You’ll be replacing it soon.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
And dont forget , low RPM torque is what brakes things ! That is why there are some on this site that are keeping stock bottom ends alive at 700+ HP , because they keep the RPMs up all the time they are on it ! When you get that tranny build get a converter that will address that better ! Good luck and build some RPMs first to save the eng !

Deny

Oct 30, 2016
torqued2dmax hi could you elaborate on what and how to make more rpm i dont get that thanks

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
Imagine trying to break loose a stubborn bolt and you can’t. Grab a long cheater pipe and boom. The bolt is your engine, when you have high boost/tq at low rpm, turbos are essentially cheater pipes for engines.