LBZ: Turbo issues

JimmyMac

Sep 1, 2015
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.6 TD. Only have 8.1 PSI max @2500 RPM. 1-2 PSI @ idle. Oil residue in tube, black smoke when I accelerate. Thinking I may have a seal leak, or need to replace. Have not broke onto it to ascertain the status of the vanes. Any suggestions would be appreciated, even hints on how to replace, and the best replacement

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Lack of codes is strange. I'd start by doing a boost leak test to see if a tube or intercooler has sprung a leak. If those check out good, grab a good scan tool and command the vanes to sweep and make sure the vanes and sensor work right. After that, probably time to start looking at a failed turbo, or mechanical problem with the motor.

Sent from my FlashScan V2

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Vane sensor maybr when mine went out it took awhile for my truck to throw a code.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
It couod be the turbo..but, theres No codes...hmm
Sounds like a boost leak to me...oil in the tube is normal, due to the way the PCV and EGR is set up. Check all the charge air piping connections...off the turbo, into the intercooler, out of the intercooler, connections at the EGR and also try to get a good view of the Y-bridge... The Y-bridge is a 2 piece unit and however unlikely it is, it is possible that the horn/elbow is coming loose

JimmyMac

Sep 1, 2015
Thanks for the suggestions. Initial findings did not locate a leak, but I will check further. Thanks for the feedback on the oil, that eliminates a big concern

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk