Turbo coolant thermostat

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Has anyone ditched the stock thermostat for the turbo and just ran a line straight to the upper rad hose? I know this defeats the point of differing all the water from the water pump to the bypass when cold and some will actually circulate through the radiator but with the way ill be changing the van thermostat housing up, that threaded hole for the turbo thermostat will be blocked off. i cant see the little hose cycling water being an issue, specially in az but doesnt hurt to see if anyone has had issues

Lparrill

And here we go again
Jul 30, 2010
Lander, WY
Mine ran like that for almost 3 years. Didn't notice any real side affects or really much difference honestly. Just recently replaced the upper crossover with one with a thermostat.

My truck is not necessarily a good example though. It has hell trying to keep up to temp. Motor built for sea level living at 6-10,000' feet in elevation.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
not a bad example at all. my rig goes from sea level to 7k or more all the time. once the thermostats start opening, it shouldnt matter anymore. just wanted to make sure it wouldnt cause another issue to pop up. hell for all i know, the current thermostat for my turbo is stuck open lol

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Where are you planning to tie into the radiator? What if you put a T fitting in the heater hose coming out of the thermostat housing?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Where are you planning to tie into the radiator? What if you put a T fitting in the heater hose coming out of the thermostat housing?

i would just drill/tap a an NPT barb into the thermostat housing and connect a hose to it. where ill be re-clocking the outlet of the housing, i can reuse the thermostat.

thats not a bad idea, might just do that! thanks josh :hug: