Turbo barking between shifts and at reduction of throttle???

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
As stated in the title, my 07 LBZ is barking the turbo between shifts at both medium and WOT along with anytime I lift on the throttle between medium and WOT.

Truck is equipped with a PPE GT4094R turbo and PPE V Trans built in early 07 with an ATS converter. Twin stock cp3's and stock injectors. Motor is tuned, trans is not. Also, the trans at one time had an ATS Copilot that was half way removed when the truck went back to PPE after frying the trans. Owner error.

I spoke with Mike L. about the issue being in the trans, possibly the converter. He thinks it might be in the tuning and said to check there before I spend the money to swap parts on the trans. I have not contacted the tuner about this issue and figured I would ask around here first to see if anyone has had a similar issue and what the best fix is.

Side note, the truck sat for many years before I got it. Only has 16k miles on it and 7k since it was modified. I have put about 1500 miles on it since I got the truck. Tuning was switched from a PPE Hot+2 to DSP5 a couple years ago but only had 5 miles put on it after that and then sat.

Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Could be vanes sticking in the turbo.

Especially since it's been sitting so long......

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
Does it do it on all tunes? Does it do it more with one tune vs the other?
Mostly 4. street and 5. race. The first 3 tunes are super conservative on fuelling and feel like a stock truck which is what the original owner wanted. I hardly go below 4 because it's a dog. Right now my lifted 06 with 200k miles and a single pump with 4094 vvt will eat this thing up. Spool up is very slow on the 07 but there is a lot of fuel and everything is high flow.?

Could the TC be coupling too quick? Could the remains of the ATS Copilot be messing with the valve body? What are the specs on the ATS converter you guys were using back in late 06 early 07?

I know the truck didn't do this before but I can't help but think that it sitting for so long might be part of the problem. No cel's either.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
To me, from what I have seen, it is usually caused by NOT ENOUGH fuel during part throttle shifts/lockup.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Nice Mark! What was needed to fix it?

Pulled timing out of it because of the turbo. If turbo is barky and sneezes easily then you need to pull timing out to move the heat from cylinder to the exhaust to drive the turbo properly. That is all I needed to change to calm it down, no change in the fueling itself just when.:thumb: