Tuning in an Older Swapped Truck

Lq4chevy

Nov 25, 2019
Im putting a LBZ in a 1967 C50. Seeing as the truck predates emissions itself would that make a case for a tuner to be more likely to tune the truck?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I'm not sure how your laws are but in California whatever is newer of the engine or chassis is what the smog regulations are based on. as the engine is newer then the chassis the emissions regulations would be based on that. how does your state deal with that?

Lq4chevy

Nov 25, 2019
I'm not sure how your laws are but in California whatever is newer of the engine or chassis is what the smog regulations are based on. as the engine is newer then the chassis the emissions regulations would be based on that. how does your state deal with that?
To be honest I'm not sure in Az, I need to look into it further. I would have to think most states will be more relaxed then California.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
To be honest I'm not sure in Az, I need to look into it further. I would have to think most states will be more relaxed then California.
Per the fed's and EPA, since it came out of a VIN'ed vehicle, it needs to follow federal emssion standards for the year of truck. So regardless of what AZ says, its still a federal problem and why its no easier to find tuning for it

Lq4chevy

Nov 25, 2019
Per the fed's and EPA, since it came out of a VIN'ed vehicle, it needs to follow federal emssion standards for the year of truck. So regardless of what AZ says, its still a federal problem and why its no easier to find tuning for it

that's what I was afraid of. Now for the guys that are truly off-road only are they having trouble getting around the fed's VIN'ed rule?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
that's what I was afraid of. Now for the guys that are truly off-road only are they having trouble getting around the fed's VIN'ed rule?
yup. there is no such thing. you have to use an engine block that is not vin'ed or out of a vehcile (basically a custom block like a wagler billet block) and the chassis must never have been vin'ed from the factory (like a tube chassis or home built frame and cab). In those cases, the EPA has no issue. if not, it will run into issues.

You as a regular dude most likely have no worry. they have bigger fish to fry than you. But from a tuner stand point and shop stand point, that is the problem

Lq4chevy

Nov 25, 2019
Yeah I'm sure no one will ever be knocking at my door... but boy oh boy sounds like it just for that much more expensive to be in motorsports.

thanks for the info

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
We’ve swapped a bunch of vehicles throughout the years. All old school, 60’s, 50’s and 70’s. No issues with inspections or epa or etc. from all over the country. Most in cali.

You won’t have an issue, roll with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk