tuning bigger injectors

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
so im trying to dial these 80s in and get them to get some economy and better driving manners if I try and pull us in the 20-70mm are from 60mpa-120mpa it rattles like a bitch. stock us in that range there faily quiet but it hazes under low boost even with maf limiting.

pilot also is extremely touchy to taking fuel from... idle I have pretty close to perfect think little more mpa and more pw to drop fuel rate little more and i'll be good there.

from the reading ive done everyone takes a percentage out of the cruising range and adds at idle which is what ive done. is there a rule of thumb for timing and size of injectors? my egts are great crusing around and around 1200-1400* depending on if im on the base or dsp 2 tune. I got my 45s dialed in fine but these 80s are a bit tricky

few pointers guys?

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
I also have a lope while its cold and is espesically bad with the a/c on and I can add fuel to idle areas it still idles around 15-18mm when warm cold it stay around 5-9mm which puzzles me. it should do the reverse of what it is. also even though the pw maps are the exact same when I flip it to dsp 2 it lopes horrible or maybe I should say revs up then dies down..... my idle fuel pressure is 45mpa roughly around 2-3* timing

just pulled 100us from main again 20mm-70mm 60-100mpa with pilot stock no rattle little better sound slightly slower spool but I can adjust that in the maf limiting tables.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Size of the injector has nothing to do with the timing that is ran PW and injector design and bowl design however do have something to do at various combos. Us the timing calculator that Josh put up and it can help with getting things better for you.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
What is your idle timing? What does the calculator tell you about percentages from 20-60 mm3 across the whole rpm range?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
I pulled 20% out of cruising areas in my lbz and it only hazes slightly when boost drops off. The injectors are 100% over stock, the charger is stock appearing. Egts never get above 1000 when pulling a long hill empty. Cruising egts are 6-700 on the flat. Timing is 80-100% btdc in cruising areas. I did not touch pilot at all. The only thing I changed in idle areas is fuel pressure. Dunno if any of that will help you or not.

Not sure why your truck would rattle if you used the timing calc? Unless it flashed incorrectly or you copied the wrong table by accident?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i went till i heard injector rattle, then backed it off 2 degrees. from stock timing to where im at now i gained 1.5-2mpg all logged over 12 hour round trip. im pretty convinced my 45 overs are much closer to 60 overs lol

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
Nice I'll try adding some more then. My 100's are way easier to tune then I thought they were going to be. Glad I went big.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
the initial tuning wasnt hard. Steve had me setup fast and for most people, it probably would have been fine but im very picky. He has spent lots of seat time in my truck with me getting the tune just how i wanted it and i as well going in and tweaking little things i know about to get it just right. i didnt want to have to learn how to drive the truck, i didnt build it to be that way. if someone couldnt hop in it and drive it like it came off the dealer lot, i needed to fix/change something so it would. its a safety measure should i get hurt somewhere camping or riding, my wife or close friend/family can tow my stuff home with the truck without much worry.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Ya James is right add timing until it rattles then back it off some. Just remember to change your ECT timing multiplier, so it doesn't rattle when its cold. IIRC mine is like 130-140%BTDC

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
So what percent are y'all running at full throttle BTDC? I've got mine set at 50% across the table and it's a bit smokey on every tune but tune 1 is clean at full throttle while tune 3 and up are smokey. I have been thinking I was the nozzles themselves because I tuned a lmm with 60 overs same way I did mine and they where clean.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
thats something im not at the liberty of giving up. if steve wants to answer that, ill leave it to him.

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
So what percent are y'all running at full throttle BTDC? I've got mine set at 50% across the table and it's a bit smokey on every tune but tune 1 is clean at full throttle while tune 3 and up are smokey. I have been thinking I was the nozzles themselves because I tuned a lmm with 60 overs same way I did mine and they where clean.

What rpm are you shifting at? That vvt is killing you for what you want out of the truck.But that question is hard to anwser as it can vary from the truck setups. As in drive pressure to high egts to smoke output. That's why the scan tool and other logging techniques like being able to monitor egts, boost and drive pressures are so useful to us.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
What rpm are you shifting at? That vvt is killing you for what you want out of the truck.But that question is hard to anwser as it can vary from the truck setups. As in drive pressure to high egts to smoke output. That's why the scan tool and other logging techniques like being able to monitor egts, boost and drive pressures are so useful to us.

3600 rpm. My drive pressure is a little less than 1:2. Egts are not bad highest I've seen under full throttle is 1550 with it 90* outside on big tune.