TrueTrac on front?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
if its the eaton detroit truetrac we are talking about in this link http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@per/documents/content/ct_128302.pdf, then it does not have to be coupled all the time as it works like the dodge rear limited slips. i see no listing for a GM 9.25 IFS though

harbin, i think what dmaxvaz is talking about is if its a clutch type limited slip. then the possiblility for constant slipping clutches is there which would lead to it failing rather quickly. the one above wouldnt matter

Last edited:

c0ncEpT

Jan 2, 2012
Michigan
It depends on what you want out of it. Just like any other clutch type differential you be able to over power it and wear it out.

Why not just buy an ARB and be done with it?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It depends on what you want out of it. Just like any other clutch type differential you be able to over power it and wear it out.

Why not just buy an ARB and be done with it?

please read the link above :thumb:. no clutches in it

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I looked into this for a while , but have since came to the conclusion that the carnage is too much to make it viable , every one i know that has ran there locker ( e locker ) at the strip has lunched there front end many many times in the process and stopped after a few times of breaking axles , I am not sure how many parts are availible to beef up the front end but at that point its no longer a "cheap" option to improve 60 ft times .

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I looked into this for a while , but have since came to the conclusion that the carnage is too much to make it viable , every one i know that has ran there locker ( e locker ) at the strip has lunched there front end many many times in the process and stopped after a few times of breaking axles , I am not sure how many parts are availible to beef up the front end but at that point its no longer a "cheap" option to improve 60 ft times .

That's why I was considering this. Maybe not such a harsh locker. Empire diesel shows them for around $500

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Well I talked to my axle guy today. He is a 30+ year of nothing but driveline guy. He called eaton about it and they said it is not a "loaded type" so the truetrac can be ran without doing away with the slip coupler. Thinkin about trying it. Builder told me $530 for the unit.

c0ncEpT

Jan 2, 2012
Michigan
I guess its worth a shot.

They have a 1 year warranty and are not rebuildable if I recall. So if you break it your SOL.

IMO you'll break the slide collar before the case tho so you should be alright.

Last edited:

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
Well I talked to my axle guy today. He is a 30+ year of nothing but driveline guy. He called eaton about it and they said it is not a "loaded type" so the truetrac can be ran without doing away with the slip coupler. Thinkin about trying it. Builder told me $530 for the unit.

When I called them, they said the opposite is true about the truetrac. I would still add the coupler to be safe.

yrkdmax

N00B00B
Nov 15, 2012
York, PA
Bringing this back from the dead.

Did anyone ever have a truetrac installed?

I want to put one in my truck, but not for drag racing more for offroad/ deep snow, etc...

Just wanted to see if the housing had to be mod'ed at all and how it held up to drag racing...

moss

<--good vibrations
Dec 15, 2008
sandwich, il
imo, I think the extra torque/load put on the front end parts when it couples/locks would not be to friendly on parts

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Bringing this back from the dead.

Did anyone ever have a truetrac installed?

I want to put one in my truck, but not for drag racing more for offroad/ deep snow, etc...

Just wanted to see if the housing had to be mod'ed at all and how it held up to drag racing...

I would run it but be warned, it will make your front driveshaft turn all the time regardless if your in 4wd or not. This may add additional vibration to the truck

yrkdmax

N00B00B
Nov 15, 2012
York, PA
I partly agree with you. But as it used to be listed for Gm and is now only listed for Dodge.
But I would have to think that it is less stress that an elocker or arb air locker both of which are available.

yrkdmax

N00B00B
Nov 15, 2012
York, PA
Dah!! You sir are correct. Wasn't replying to you lol.

That's what happens when you reply on your phone.

Thank you I didn't realize it keeps your front driveshaft spinning. :confused: