Truck stolen.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Well I got the truck back last night. As I suspected I didn’t want it back lol. They definitely drove it like they stole it. Most everything was still in the truck minus the CTS2 and dash cam. The column is tore up, center console cup holder is gone and some ac vents. They even left the plates on the truck! The inside looks like a bunch of 5 year olds had a picnic in it. Something is tore up in the front end. As I was leaving it felt like it was in 4wd (it was in 2wd) and making quite a racket. It cleared up as I drove it home.
The cops told me it was part of a huge investigation into a chop shop/theft ring. They know who’s involved. And that they had seen the truck around but they ran when confronted. Department policy is to not chase unless a violent crime took place. So they kept an eye out in the area and found it. Freaking thing was only a few miles from where I live! Now to figure out what to do with it. Thanks for listening 😀.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Oh yeah, I did score some new tools and what nots. I told the cop that the shit in the bed wasn’t mine and he said well it is now haha. I’ll look thru it all after work.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
That sucks to hear rob. is the insurance deductible on the truck worth the cost to fix her up?

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Deductible is $500. I’ll find out when I call them today. I really hope they can still total it out but I doubt it. The question is is the truck worth it to me to fix up. I didn’t have the attachment to this one like I did my ‘04.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Deductible is $500. I’ll find out when I call them today. I really hope they can still total it out but I doubt it. The question is is the truck worth it to me to fix up. I didn’t have the attachment to this one like I did my ‘04.

make a heck of list of damage, if it needs paint, steering, diff, and other stuff, i dont see it NOT being totaled

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
I saw someone suggest a door handle off the rear of a crew cab for the driver door so there's no keyhole any more

But then you're kinda shooting yourself in the foot if your fob battery dies or gets fried

What/how are you wiring up the kill switch to?

I personally like the look of no key hole so I swap all my GMT 800. Doesn't stop the thief's. A slightly aggressive pull and the whole handle comes off the doors.

Kill switch is wired into the ign harness and hidden in the cab. command start is wired after the switch so remote start still functions. then a keyed DSP5 with no start as a last attempt if parked for a while/remote start not needed

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Sorry to hear about your truck. I don’t know what I would do but if mine got stolen. Probably not replace it since I keep it more for Sentimental reasons than anything else.

I have no start in my DSP and an aftermarket alarm. But my truck sits in the garage most of the time.

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
This off topic but related. Keep an eye on your living location. They stole your truck and most people have the registration in the glove box. They possibly, if they took it or looked at the reg., now know where you live. Sorry about the your truck being stolen.

Reactions: Dm23

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Yeah I brought that concern up with the cops. I let them know I was readily armed and they didn’t seem to care. Not their problem till it’s their problem you know? I get it. And so did they. But the kids are home schooled and I do keep an eye on the place.

Attachments

• 9580CCDC-D4FF-4453-BE21-50A18F21CDA4.jpeg
    9580CCDC-D4FF-4453-BE21-50A18F21CDA4.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: Pure Diesel

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I had to do some reading on it, but it seems most states only do a salvage title if an insurance company has wrote it off after the theft. I'd say you're alright since they found it pretty quick

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Well I got the truck back last night. As I suspected I didn’t want it back lol. They definitely drove it like they stole it. Most everything was still in the truck minus the CTS2 and dash cam. The column is tore up, center console cup holder is gone and some ac vents. They even left the plates on the truck! The inside looks like a bunch of 5 year olds had a picnic in it. Something is tore up in the front end. As I was leaving it felt like it was in 4wd (it was in 2wd) and making quite a racket. It cleared up as I drove it home.
The cops told me it was part of a huge investigation into a chop shop/theft ring. They know who’s involved. And that they had seen the truck around but they ran when confronted. Department policy is to not chase unless a violent crime took place. So they kept an eye out in the area and found it. Freaking thing was only a few miles from where I live! Now to figure out what to do with it. Thanks for listening 😀.
I missed that you had posted this update. Bummer to hear it worked out like that.

Are you able to tell how they got it started?

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
I did find a relay in the door but can’t for the life of me find where it goes. Maybe it disabled the alarm? I’ll get a pic of it shortly.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
The Jimmy key did all the work. Door lock and ignition were 100% intact.
I must not be picturing the right thing, I can’t imagine how this would open the door AND then get it started

not trying to turn this into a DIY hijacking thread lol, just trying to understand how to prevent it or at least make it more difficult 222A10BC-B016-4574-B96D-D7A67CEF0CE6.jpeg

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Not a slim Jim, more a generic master type key. And since the same key works the door lock and ignition...

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Here’s the relay...I can not for the life of me figure out where it goes. No open spots under the dash, at the ends of the dash or underhood fuse panel.

Attachments

• 140467C3-5667-4D8B-9BBB-471FE72F8CB7.jpeg
    140467C3-5667-4D8B-9BBB-471FE72F8CB7.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 30