Trim Valve Questions

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
OK, I was working on the trim valve part of the transgo kit last night. First question, how do you get the inner valves out from the valve body? I tried a magnet but they would not come out that way. Do you lay the valve body on its side and try and shake them out?

The "B" trim valve has no spring on the outermost part like the "A" trim right? (just after the solenoid?)

What if I was stupid and took an alan wrench to the little needle set right on the end of the solenoid (behind where your wires would plug in) and took it out? I THINK I got it set right where it was before I took it out but I'm not sure? Please dont ask why I took it out.....:eek:

OK, I took it out because the screen on my "A" trim soleniod was/is full of clutch material and some metal shavings. I thought maybe I could blow air back through there but once I took it out I decided that might not be a good idea....... so how do I go about getting the crap outa the screen? Whats funny is the "B" solenoid screen had nothing in it?

So, after the book, my main questions are:
1: How do you get the actual trim valves and springs out of the VB?
2: How bad did I mess up the "A" trim valve messin with that screw and how do I get the shavings out of the screen?

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
OK, I was working on the trim valve part of the transgo kit last night. First question, how do you get the inner valves out from the valve body? I tried a magnet but they would not come out that way. Do you lay the valve body on its side and try and shake them out?

The "B" trim valve has no spring on the outermost part like the "A" trim right? (just after the solenoid?)

What if I was stupid and took an alan wrench to the little needle set right on the end of the solenoid (behind where your wires would plug in) and took it out? I THINK I got it set right where it was before I took it out but I'm not sure? Please dont ask why I took it out.....:eek:

OK, I took it out because the screen on my "A" trim soleniod was/is full of clutch material and some metal shavings. I thought maybe I could blow air back through there but once I took it out I decided that might not be a good idea....... so how do I go about getting the crap outa the screen? Whats funny is the "B" solenoid screen had nothing in it?

So, after the book, my main questions are:
1: How do you get the actual trim valves and springs out of the VB?
2: How bad did I mess up the "A" trim valve messin with that screw and how do I get the shavings out of the screen?

I found a piece of hose that would snuggly fit over the tip of the valves. I was able to work my valves out by Pulling and twisting with careful technique. As far as the screen, you may have to get another solenoid. cheap though the ones I replaced cost 25.00 and the other two had been replaced by the transmission shop at there request.

I can send you photo snap shots of any part of the VB. Or, I can post them here it this would help you. Let me know. This will cover spring position, but not which spring goes where. Be careful, the wrong spring at the wrong spot will have some kind of effect. Not sure if it will be good or bad. Also, the instructions will be for a stock vb.

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
I think I have the springs straight, I just cant get the actual valves out of the valve body. If the solenoid only costs $25, I would be better off gettin a new one. I cant pull the pan back off for that much $$$ in fluid alone.

duramaxin14

Just Keeping Up
May 25, 2007
Wauchula fl
Max if u need a soilnoid i beilve i have a couple laying around from my previous transmission i will go look for u and let u no if u need one

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
I found a piece of hose that would snuggly fit over the tip of the valves. I was able to work my valves out by Pulling and twisting with careful technique.

Are you talking about coming in from the solenoid end? It looks like they fit pretty snug---there's no way I'm gonna get anything around them from what I can tell. I tried shaking it a little with them pointed down but it still didnt work. I didnt want to get too crazy shaking the valve body. I dont want to try and take a pick to them b/c I know I'll mess up the the outer bore somehow.

I can send you photo snap shots of any part of the VB. Or, I can post them here it this would help you. Let me know. This will cover spring position, but not which spring goes where. Be careful, the wrong spring at the wrong spot will have some kind of effect. Not sure if it will be good or bad. Also, the instructions will be for a stock vb.
I have the ATSG manual, it should tell me what I need to know but I cant figure it out yet!
Thanks

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Are you talking about coming in from the solenoid end? It looks like they fit pretty snug---there's no way I'm gonna get anything around them from what I can tell. I tried shaking it a little with them pointed down but it still didnt work. I didnt want to get too crazy shaking the valve body. I dont want to try and take a pick to them b/c I know I'll mess up the the outer bore somehow.

I have the ATSG manual, it should tell me what I need to know but I cant figure it out yet!
Thanks

If you're still awake call me now. 310 918 9678

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
I was on and up when you posted this, I wish I would have see it!

I bet those trim valves would come out a lot easier if I had the valve body seperated, huh? :eek: :banging:

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Ya MaxFarmer, you gotta separate that valve body. Once separated you can move the valves with a pick or something to free them. Be careful not to scratch or damage the bores or valves. You may be having problems with the plugs that the springs are held against if I had to guess.

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
You may be having problems with the plugs that the springs are held against if I had to guess.

Yeah, I'm sure that is what it is, I was just trying to get them to come out of the solenoid hole but they were hanging up. Its amazing what you miss sometimes the first (and 2nd, 3rd, 4th.....)time reading through instructions. I have to watch the kids for another hour or so and then I'll get to the shop and see what I can find.

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
I thought I read on the DP that it is better to pull all the solenoids out before you seperate the VB? Otherwise pieces will go flying? I have the A and B trim solenoids out but that is it so far. I'm still tryin to finger out how I'm gonna get that A solenoid screen cleaned out.....

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
I thought I read on the DP that it is better to pull all the solenoids out before you seperate the VB? Otherwise pieces will go flying? I have the A and B trim solenoids out but that is it so far. I'm still tryin to finger out how I'm gonna get that A solenoid screen cleaned out.....

I'd be afraid I'd push something through the screen while cleaning it. If a screen gets miss shaped, while cleaning, all sorts of issues will arise. I'd just buy another and be done with it. As George and Mike L. have said, be as clean as " Surgery ".

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
Well, I forgot to tell MikeL I needed a A trim valve but I'll talk to him tomorrow I guess. Do/did you lube the new valves before you installed them? Did you clean the bores with anything first?

Just so I'm sure I'm right, the little ball goes in first, then the little spring, right?

Is there any other screens on valves/solenoids that I should look at cleaning while I'm in there? Like I said earlier, there is clutch material and silver flakes everywhere and I'd like to get as much out as I can now. I'm trying to get it as clean as surgery. :D

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
b_234317.jpg

This is after I "gently" tapped it on the bech to get all the big pieces out. This is the A trim solenoid/screen. What I dont get is that my B trim screen was completely clean but the trim valve was full of crap all around the little groove on the valve--on both valves.