Transynd vs Dex VI

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
Mike, I switched over to Transynd in my LB7's 5spd Allison using the "hoot method".

I'm installing the dummy solenoid in my LML. Can I refill it with Transynd? It should take 9 quarts right? The truck currently has the GM Dex VI fluid in it. I plan to do a double drain on it instead of doing the "hoot method" on this truck.

Edit: with 82k miles (bone stock) on it, should I put a new internal filter on while I have the pan off?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Only time I've ever seen a trans foam was when it was over or under filled.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
I learned GM put an exhaust hanger bracket right over the identification sticker on my transmission. So I have yet to get the serial number off the trans so the Allison dealer can sell me the correct internal filter. I'll take a better look when I get it on the lift.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I learned GM put an exhaust hanger bracket right over the identification sticker on my transmission. So I have yet to get the serial number off the trans so the Allison dealer can sell me the correct internal filter. I'll take a better look when I get it on the lift.

Simple.
Stock shallow pan takes the black filter. All deep pans take the white filter.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I've seen two different black shallow filters. One had a grid pattern on the top side, not sure what the application was but it sure didn't fit mine!

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
I believe they updated the filter too. I just did my fluid and internal filter Tuesday and my new oem filter was different than what was in my trans. 29542833 was the part number I used for the new filter.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Only time I've ever seen a trans foam was when it was over or under filled.

Really?? I've always been paranoid to mix just because of why I've seen them do when mixed in a engine and gear boxes at work and in my ranger.

Guess I should have asked or tried it before assuming.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I wouldn't suggest it just on principal that they have different properties when it comes to lubrication properties and viscosity index ratings. But will it hurt anything? Doubtful.