Transmission fluid and filter.

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
I know this question has been asked q million times and I was searching threw old posts but I'm still confused. I have a 07 six speed. What type of fluid and filter for the transmission? Just rolled over 100,000 miles and need to hamge filters. How much fluid and what type/ brand?

Atouchofgrass

Jun 19, 2010
CT
Depending on how many miles are on the fluid currently in the trans, i would recommend doing a full flush (hoot method). When i did the hoot method last, i picked up a 5 gallon pail along with an extra gallon just incase of Allison TranSynd fluid which was on a stock tranny. :thumb:

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
I may b wrong Mike will correct me but I thought transyde and Dex III were the better to run? I run dex 3 right now but I'm going to run transyde when I refresh the trans this winter or spring or maybe Mike l will do it for me while he send me to.Disney land :rofl:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I may b wrong Mike will correct me but I thought transyde and Dex III were the better to run? I run dex 3 right now but I'm going to run transyde when I refresh the trans this winter or spring or maybe Mike l will do it for me while he send me to.Disney land :rofl:

I may go to Disney Land with you.:roflmao::D:hug:

Heartbeat Hauler

May 5, 2008
Morgantown, WV
I know nothing of transmissions so that's why I ask. So please anyone amount and type for a six speed allison

The initial fill (no fluid in trans, lines, converter, or pan) 12.7 quarts. If you just drain and fill and replace the filter, 7.4 quarts. If you do a flush you will need somewhere around 12.5 quarts. The Hoot Method is a way of flushing everything out. This write-up includes Trans go jr. install also, but look here for Hoot Method instructions:

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16176&highlight=hoot+method

Or, you can simply drain the fluid, change filter, and fill it with Transynd, drive it for a couple thousand miles (at least 500 miles) and then drain and refill. This will put the trans in the 95%+ synthetic fluid range, which is how I did it. I would recommend using Transynd fluid if the trans is stock. Merchant Automotive also offers a good synthetic trans fluid for this trans. I used the Transynd in mine. Though I don't have a modified transmission, I have read that if you have aftermarket trans clutches, i.e. ATS, Suncoast, etc. you should use a good DEX III fluid.

Since you say you don't know anything about trans stuff DO NOT OVER FILL the pan. At operating temp 175* check fluid with truck running. When you look at the dip stick you will see the area marked "HOT" with hash marks on each side of the word HOT. Fluid level should be in the lower hash marks (the end toward the tip) not in the HOT area or the hash marks above it. If you over fill the pan it will run hot. It's worth it to drain some fluid out, if you do over fill (take out the plug, let some fluid drain, re-insert the plug, check. Repeat as required). Good luck.

Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
A complete flush will use up most of a 5 gallon pale of fluid. You will have a couple of quarts left. The Allison holds 17qts.

AKDZL

Nov 20, 2012
Saint Paul Island Alaska
Little off subject, but are the aluminum lines that go to the passenger side of the radiator for the transmission? Also is there 1 in OD o-rings that go behind the nut/ flat washer like thing that the aluminum tube goes in to screw into the core of the radiator? Just curious because I put my radiator back in, and had taken those lines off by the nut, not the plastic clip, and now I found a o-ring on the floor which was not there before the radiator install, not sure if it was an old o-ring that came out of the back of the truck when I took some stuff out of the back and put it on the floor..

Any help please??