Transfer case issue

Lance LB7

Nov 5, 2013
Kentucky
Any guesses on what's going on in my transfer case? A few months ago it started rattling and making a vibration around 70mph. Now it does it from 55 up. I can hold the tcase shifter forward toward the neutral position and it quits making the noise. When I changed the oil in it, I pulled a quarter size glob of metallic stuff out of the drain plug. Also, you can take the driveshaft and move the tail shaft maybe 1/8 of an inch up and down. It also looks like the tail shaft has slid out about 1/2 inch. It was rebuilt with the pump rub kit 70k miles ago.

2d2e39300cacd94b59584123bd7685bb.jpg
75f26d14b3ace3e6e98883c110fbe694.jpg
08c486aa84082ecdc2e4450f7bd8c1eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
My guess would be the output shaft bearing machined surface and the bushing is wore. I'd check the driveshaft balance too, once I figured out what's wrong with the case internally.

Lance LB7

Nov 5, 2013
Kentucky
Is that bearing something that can be replaced easily? Or has it screwed up the housing?

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Well, if it's the bearing; it won't be a bad job, 2hrs or so. However, if the machined surface of the case half is damaged, you'll need a new case half.

At this point, I'm pretty much guessing as to what it could be from my experience - hard to say 100% without taking the case apart and taking a gander.

But the bearing, machined surface and bushing would be my suspects.

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Meh, besides he puts some fancy paint on them and uses factory parts and a pump rub kit claims they're "built". I wouldn't mess with him.

Lance LB7

Nov 5, 2013
Kentucky
You need to fix it quick before it wipes out your whole case. I had the same issues and 2 months after making a thread about it my transfer case imploded.

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52062

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55248

Did you end up rebuilding it? Or just getting a reman one? I work like 70 hours a week and this is my only vehicle so that's the biggest obstacle in my way right now. I was only gonna use Nate because he quoted me $600 and said he could rebuild it in 45 minutes while I was there...? Idk. Never been inside one don't know how complicated they get

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
I had the dealership install a reman. They had the cheapest price(not including labor) and the best warranty and thats what other members recommended. If you're mechanically inclined and never done it before you could swap transfer cases in about 2 hours.

3 years later and my output shaft has slop and the seal is leaking... Just ordered my parts from Merchant and gonna do it myself this time.

Lance LB7

Nov 5, 2013
Kentucky
I had the dealership install a reman. They had the cheapest price(not including labor) and the best warranty and thats what other members recommended. If you're mechanically inclined and never done it before you could swap transfer cases in about 2 hours.

3 years later and my output shaft has slop and the seal is leaking... Just ordered my parts from Merchant and gonna do it myself this time.

Taking the case out is no problem... I've had the clutch out of it 3 times lol. So your dealership reman only lasted you 3 years? How high do they run?

Lance LB7

Nov 5, 2013
Kentucky
Well, if it's the bearing; it won't be a bad job, 2hrs or so. However, if the machined surface of the case half is damaged, you'll need a new case half.

At this point, I'm pretty much guessing as to what it could be from my experience - hard to say 100% without taking the case apart and taking a gander.

But the bearing, machined surface and bushing would be my suspects.

Thrust plate in the planetary, tailshaft bushing, range fork and new tail casing is what it took to fix it. All good again