Trans leak need advice please.

white-duramax

Jul 9, 2009
My pickup is an 04 LB7 silverado with 230,000 miles. My Trans started leaking it will only drip a few dots when it is parked and it's coming front the front of the Trans and will drip out the bell housing. My question is can I we some kind of stop leak and if so what works best? I don't want to pull it to replace the seal because it is tired and I just need a built one but would like to try to buy some time because like everyone else money is tight right now. Thanks in advance for the help!

Reactions: DigTx

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Don't use any kind of leak stop. If you can't fix it right away you are better off checking and topping off the fluid until then.

Stop leak will clog up all of the intricate passages and valves in the transmission/ valve body. This will cost far more to fix then a seal

Reactions: DigTx

white-duramax

Jul 9, 2009
Well that's not what I was wanting to hear but I do appreciate the advice! I will just have to keep an eye on it. Does anyone have any good advice on whare to buy a built trans? I don't think I want to tackle that job... I work on over the road trucks and mostly in frame engines but rebuilding my trans my self I just don't know.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Mike L of Inglewood or Evan of Limitless. I guess it could be your pick depending on what side of the country you're on.

white-duramax

Jul 9, 2009
Has any one tried the duramaxtuner.com built transmissions? And thoughts on them? I have been wondering about possibly giving Evan a call also.

Last edited:

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
If it's time for a build I'll hop on the Mike or Evan wagon :). Evan did mine Friday and the thing is wicked.

You can probably fix your issue short of a build but with 220k it's time for an overhaul anyway. Might as well do it right

white-duramax

Jul 9, 2009
Yes thats what I am thinking is that its time for a build! I called Evan today but was not able to get ahold of him and left a voice mail I am shure hes is super busy! Thanks for all the input everyone it helps a ton!:thumb:

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
I would suggest Mike L. He is my builder and always takes care of me. But I have always heard good things about Evan too. Depends on where your at too.

white-duramax

Jul 9, 2009
Just wanting to give a quick update. Evan got back with me and super awesome guy and tons of help:thumb:! I have to wait just a bit to get cought up on the good ole fun tickets but will be getting a kit from him and building it and I am looking foward to it and finaly having a trans that can hold some power. Thanks to everyone for the help and advice!

DigTx

Nov 21, 2019
San Antonio area
Don't use any kind of leak stop. If you can't fix it right away you are better off checking and topping off the fluid until then.

Stop leak will clog up all of the intricate passages and valves in the transmission/ valve body. This will cost far more to fix then a seal

$5000 to put a $100+
worth of seals in was my allison transmission quote. What would it cost just to rebuild the transmission?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DigTx

Nov 21, 2019
San Antonio area
A I live near San Antonio. Does anyone know shop that I can trust to “rebuild” not re-seal my allison transmission (250K miles w Leaky seals but still runs great!).
I’m clueless just depending on experienced fellows here).
If i’m going to borrow the money I might as well do it all.
Thank you all.
Bob Mc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk