Allison 5sp: Trans Fluid??

hrecker

Oct 20, 2011
Shepherd, MI
Just bought an 03 2005 and changed all of the fluids this past weekend. Originally was going to change the trans fluid to dex VI, but found this to be a big no no. Then found that the valvoline dex/merc was allison tes-389. So i changed it using this, but later reading the back of the bottle it also says dex VI on it. What do you guys think about this being ok? Wouldnt want my seals to go bad..

DieselDummy

Dirt Dummy
Oct 13, 2011
NY
Just got my 03 also, I was told dex 3 was fine for our trucks, clarification would be great.

Sent from the road!!!!!
03 lb7 CC/LB

hrecker

Oct 20, 2011
Shepherd, MI
So the more I thought about this the more it makes me want to leave the Valvoline Max life in there..hopefully whatever caused the Dec VI to hate seals on the Allison's doesn't also happen with the valvoline

D_R_C

Retired
Oct 31, 2011
Rocky Top, USA
So the more I thought about this the more it makes me want to leave the Valvoline Max life in there..hopefully whatever caused the Dec VI to hate seals on the Allison's doesn't also happen with the valvoline

Thats because the Valvoline Max Life has additives that is friendly to older trans and seals. Valvoline claims the Max Life is a full synthetic, but the cost is very reasonable, so I was suspicious.
At the time I switched to Valvoline Max Life about 3 yrs ago I called them questioning the reasonable price for a full syn, they said they was introducing it at a lower cost.
I have not priced it lately.
I use Max Life in my 96 class a motor home.

Last edited: