Tranny service

AIRBORNE

Nov 4, 2011
Morgantown, WV
What is a decent price to have the Allison tranny serviced? I want to have my wife take my truck to get the tranny flushed, new filter and fluid before I get back. Anyone know what I can expect to pay?

AIRBORNE

Nov 4, 2011
Morgantown, WV
What fluid do you recommend? Truck has 91K miles, give or take. Not sure when the last time it was done. Ashamed to say that I have not done it since I have owned the truck.:(

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
ive been running transyn in mine for 100k+ no issues besides me beating the crap out of my poor old trans. a 5 gal bucket will run ya about $180 from the allison dealer. for a stock trans i think this fluid is perfect. look it up, im sure its good for over 100k and its designed for allisons

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
If you plan to upgrade your trans, don't waste the money on TranSynd as it will be dumped. Keep the spin on changed every 10-15K. Don't forget to transfer the magnet.

AIRBORNE

Nov 4, 2011
Morgantown, WV
Yeah, the more I read, the more I hear to just drop the pan. How hard is it to change the internal filter? I mean the one post I read somewhere else said if you can change your oil, you can do the trans pan drop and swap both filters.

dmax711

Mar 4, 2011
concord, north carolina
its easy.. as mike said if you plan on a build wait, if not, drain it, pull pan, put a new internal filte in.. i would also recommend a filter lock, had mine fall off in the pan and its cheap insurance to put one on.

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
Yeah, you can do it...The pan gasket is reusable and make sure the filter "grommet" (not sure of the proper name for it) comes out with the old internal filter...

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
How important is it to change the internal filter. I change my spin on often, thought I heard the internal only collected large particals and the spin on did most of the work?

AIRBORNE

Nov 4, 2011
Morgantown, WV
LWATSON, that is a wide buck in your avatar.

Thanks for the tranny advice guys. I really feel stupid that I have not given more "love" to my truck, but due to my job I always seem to be preoccupied. I paid that thing off early in the year and with only 91K I am hoping to get many more fun and faithful miles out of it.

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
How important is it to change the internal filter. I change my spin on often, thought I heard the internal only collected large particals and the spin on did most of the work?

I change my spin-on at every oil change...Mike L. told me I could change my internal filter after 50,000 miles if I wanted to, but it would probably look almost new when I dropped the pan...He was right...

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Thanks, its an 8 pointer 20 1/2" on the inside. Unusually big for my area. Not so big in others.

That is a very nice 8 point. I just shot an 8 with a 17" spread which is still a decent 8 but not quite like yours!

---------------------------------
08 LMM Chevy CCSB
Relentless Diesel trans
JoshH EfiLive tuning
554hp 1014ft-lbs 7/30/11