LML Traction Bars

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
The other thread (LB7 traction bars) got me thinking.

I have bars laying in the shop for my LML. I need to make brackets for the bars. On my LB7 I used weld-on brackets from PullingProducts.com. I don't want to use weld-on brackets on the LML if I don't have to.

Now my question, what frame bracket is everyone using on the LML due to the boxed frame?

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
I looked at the bottom of the frame in the mounting area. It's double wall in the bottom. If it's tapped it'll only be a few threads.
I might have to weld on the same brackets I had on my LB7. I'm just leery of all the additional electronics on the LML compared to my LB7.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Keep the ground by the weld area and make sure it's a GOOD ground. Disconnect the batteries as well and you will be fine.

I would not drill/tap the frame for the mounts. With the loads the bars will see, you will easily rip the threads out

Digmax

Jan 23, 2016
Always ground on the same piece of steel your welding. Not a bracket that is bolted to something that your welding as there may be paint in between the two pieces.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

AZlml

Jun 5, 2016
Goodyear, AZ
Always ground on the same piece of steel your welding. Not a bracket that is bolted to something that your welding as there may be paint in between the two pieces.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Where would you ground if you were welding on the bed floor in the center. Got a softball size hole from a previous 5th wheel hitch. I was thinking bed mounting bolts but now I'm not sure.

Interested on the traction bar info as well so it's not an intentional thread derail :thumb:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Where would you ground if you were welding on the bed floor in the center. Got a softball size hole from a previous 5th wheel hitch. I was thinking bed mounting bolts but now I'm not sure.

Interested on the traction bar info as well so it's not an intentional thread derail :thumb:

pull a fender support bar, tap the bolt hole to clean the treads, clean the bolt threads, put bolt back in loosely, put ground clamp on and go to town. i would still pull battery grounds to be safe

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Could just unbolt the bed and lift it on some 2x4s. Then you don't need to worry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
Troy, I looked at those brackets. They use three bolts and nuts to attach the brackets on the bottom of the frame. My question when looking at them was how does one get to the nuts, or get the nuts inside a boxed frame? Maybe I didn't inspect the frame area enough.

I thought of extending that type of bracket so that it goes up the frame both inside and outside (like a "u" shape when viewed running with the frame. Then drilling and bolting them through the sides of the frame.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Troy, I looked at those brackets. They use three bolts and nuts to attach the brackets on the bottom of the frame. My question when looking at them was how does one get to the nuts, or get the nuts inside a boxed frame? Maybe I didn't inspect the frame area enough.

I thought of extending that type of bracket so that it goes up the frame both inside and outside (like a "u" shape when viewed running with the frame. Then drilling and bolting them through the sides of the frame.

Nope, bolts won't stay tight. The frame will give as you tighten since there is no sleeve. Now if you put a sleeve in the frame and weld that in, then it would work well