Traction Bars: Whats the Purpose of These?

MattKatz

Custom Junkie
May 27, 2014
Dayton, Ohio
www.facebook.com
As stated, I see some trucks with lifts that have them and some that don't, I hear guys say they are for Axle wrap, but you have to have some serious Tq. to truly get "WRAP" . SO is there a benefit and whats the design differences between some of the available ones out there?

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
I hear guys say they are for Axle wrap, but you have to have some serious Tq. to truly get "WRAP" .

What is serious TQ to you?...Most of these modded trucks have over 1,000 and have heavy 33"+ tires...A lot of us went with Cal-Tracs for their adjustability and cost...

Brabham 64

May 26, 2014
I'd like to know aswell. But more on the build side of it. I plan on building some traction bars for my truck but I have yet to take the time to do proper research on the subject.

Is there a gain in having longer bars?
Can they be too long?
Is there a major benefic in making them just bolt to the ubolts vs a ladder bar style setup that goes both above/bellow the axle tube?

Any input is great thx

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
Longer would be more stabilizing I would think. You don't need a ladder. You can build simple trac bars that are simply a tube that bolts to the frame and bottom of the ubolts holding the springs, or can weld a bracket to the frame and axle tube, or a combination of them. Ladder bars may be slightly more solid (if they attach to TWO points of the axle instead of just one). 60" is plenty. A gasser on big tires will experience axle wrap. A stock diesel more so. It leads to premature wear of seals and joints. No matter what power level your at there a good idea. If you go off roading cal tracks are probably best as they are super short. If you are a highway cruiser or track abuser, bars are prefect...they look uber sexy!:thumb:

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
As stated, I see some trucks with lifts that have them and some that don't, I hear guys say they are for Axle wrap, but you have to have some serious Tq. to truly get "WRAP" . SO is there a benefit and whats the design differences between some of the available ones out there?

The Dmax will make 1000 ft/lbs in stock trim with a tune. Is that serious enough? :D.
For racing, guys like cal-tracks and for pulling most use a longer bar, like a 60" with adjustable heims and the mounts welded to the frame.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
traction bars do not aid in traction, all they do is stop axle wrap and keep your driveline happy. you can get major axle wrap on a 100% stock truck towing a heavy load. I dont know where the term "traction bars" came from in our realm but throughout the wheeling world, you would get flamed hard for calling them that lol.

the only true "traction bar" is cal tracs. they actually aid you in keeping traction and launching out of the whole better.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
traction bars do not aid in traction, all they do is stop axle wrap and keep your driveline happy. you can get major axle wrap on a 100% stock truck towing a heavy load. I dont know where the term "traction bars" came from in our realm but throughout the wheeling world, you would get flamed hard for calling them that lol.

the only true "traction bar" is cal tracs. they actually aid you in keeping traction and launching out of the whole better.

How come cal tracs aid in keeping traction but a "traction bar" doesnt?

Call me crazy but I see no difference between them. I'm not saying there is no difference...but I just don't see it. What am i missing here?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
How come cal tracs aid in keeping traction but a "traction bar" doesnt?

Call me crazy but I see no difference between them. I'm not saying there is no difference...but I just don't see it. What am i missing here?

there is a HUGE difference ;). look at the design of a axle wrap bar and how its mounted/connected to the suspension. Then do the same for a cal trac and look how its designed. two completely different setups

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I've really only seen cal tracs on one truck in person. Guess i need to pay more attention next time I'm around the truck.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
there is a HUGE difference ;). look at the design of a axle wrap bar and how its mounted/connected to the suspension. Then do the same for a cal trac and look how its designed. two completely different setups
Same principle, a little differently executed. On mine they connect to the axle the same, but their longer and mount to the frame not the spring mount. The advantages to the Caltracs is that you can allow a little bit of axle wrap to allow for better traction and they are lighter.

Lb7_Katie

Lb7 Duramax
Sep 8, 2013
I have long bars...and they don't help with traction..or from keeping he front end from lifting....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lb7_Katie

Lb7 Duramax
Sep 8, 2013
I Don't think caltracs will keep from the front from lifting. How much preload do you have on your bars?

I dnt have caltracs. I have flight fab
e3azujyg.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Same principle, a little differently executed. On mine they connect to the axle the same, but their longer and mount to the frame not the spring mount. The advantages to the Caltracs is that you can allow a little bit of axle wrap to allow for better traction and they are lighter.

no its not.

cal tracs allow no axle wrap when properly setup. i dont know where some of you guys are getting this information but axle wrap bars by no means will take the place of cal tracs on the track. axle wrap bars are just that, they control axle wrap. the ONLY time they will improve your time at the track is if your axle wrap is so bad its hindering launch. i know of two trucks off the bat that my bars i use to build helped but ONLY because of what i just mentioned.

caltracs allow the axle to move still but NOT wrap. this "give" so to speak can be the difference in getting a truck to hook and not hook on a track. its the same reason you see guys with 4 links that either allow the car rear end to move up under accel or down under accel. that combined with shock tuning are what puts the power to the ground. make the ass end solid and you will blow the tires off.

with axle wrap bars, you now have only limited the rear end to straight up and down movement which can sometimes work against you as shocks tuning is all you will get. turning your axle wrap bars in or out bends your springs which is a bandaid to stiffening up the rear end for bad shocks but it also really starts locking that rear end up from movement.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Caltracs dropped my 60' by .20 on my old truck over standard traction bars. I think the preload on the springs is what helps with caltracs. Plus they make it easier to load lower trucks on trailers.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
its just plane due to design. what do you think is moving that bar that increases preload when you launch? its the pinion rotating. pinion moves up, bar moves forward, bar pushes cantilever, cantilever presses down on spring pack. take that bar off the cantilever and mount it straight to the frame, you have now just eliminated a movement point and any possibility of adjusting it.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Its the pinion rotating. pinion moves up, bar moves forward, bar pushes cantilever, cantilever presses down on spring pack. take that bar off the cantilever and mount it straight to the frame, you have now just eliminated a movement point and any possibility of adjusting it.
I understand how it works, the key to leaf springs is allowing it to flex, but not to much. A caltrac is locked solid under acceleration but not before you lunch.
So can you use an axle wrap bar and improve traction by setting your preload right, I have had luck with it, this has been the street. Will a caltrac system do better, I will try to find out at the track. The a big benefit will be me losing over a hundred pounds due to the size of my bars.