TPMS problem

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I just got new tires and replaced all of my TPMS sensors as one of them was starting to flake out, and I've got an issue with them. I ordered the AC Delco 'TPMS173K' from Rock Auto, which appear to have a pretty broad application chart. Fords, Hundais, Kias, Nissans, Chevys, etc. I set my MaxiTPMS to 2006 Chevy, same as the old sensors (PDM came out of a 2006 I believe), but they won't trigger. So I tried setting my MaxiTPMS to a few other vehicles and was able to get them to trigger when I set it to a 2019 Ford Expedition, so they're not bad.

The funny thing is I also ordered a set of TPMS171K sensors for my CTS, and they too have a wide application list similar to that of the TPMS173K. I was able to trigger those as a 2017 Expedition, a 2010-2013 Kia Forte as well as the 2010 Cadillad CTS that they're on.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Does the fact that the TMPS171K's in my CTS will trigger as any of the vehicles in AC Delcos application list (well, all of the ones I've tried), but the TPMS173Ks seem to only trigger as a 2019 Expedition mean there's something wrong with the 173Ks, or is there some programming that needs to be done on the sensors themselves?

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Ok, so this is driving me INSANE. I ordered a new set of sensors from rockauto, and will send the originals back under their warranty... But here's what is driving me insane... I got the new sensors - the same sensors - and as soon as I got them, I tried to trigger them as the proper 2005-2006 silverado. They all triggered fine. I then paired them with the truck, not installed. They all paired normally and all four showed 0psi as expected. Got then installed and they're all gone!!! They will no longer trigger with my MaxiTPMS set to 2005-2006 silverado, but like the others, they'll trigger as a 2019 excursion. WTF?? Why would they trigger and pair fine, tgen when installed, croak??

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Have you tried to pair them with the inflate/deflate method?
Yep, tried that with the first set that were doing the exact same thing after install. Nothing. I even tried triggering them as a 2019 expedition, which they responded to, as does this second set after bring installed... The kicker is that the second set responded to the trigger with the maxitpms set to the 2005-2006 silverado when i first got them (and if memory serves, the first set did too), and i successfully paired all four to the truck, but after having them installed, they are no longer paired to the truck and no longer trigger with the maxitpms set to what it should be.

It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I ended up getting this resolved by getting both sets of sensors returned and getting Autel MX-1 sensors. Programmed them for the truck, paired them to the truck, had them installed and done. No clue why the AC Delco sensors worked then went off the rails once installed, but I'm not getting AC Delco sensors again.

Honestly, I'd have to disagree with TPMS being the 'worst invention ever brought to market'. Aside from these particular AC Delco sensors, I haven't had a lick of trouble, and it did save a rim for me once on my CTS when the front right tire let go overnight (Get in, start car, DIC says check FtRt... Check... D'Oh! - how many do a 360* trip on every vehicle every time?)... Although it didn't stop my wife from driving 20 miles on a dead flat in her 2015 Malibu (tire was flat in our driveway... rubber evidence in the driveway and on our street... drove it 20 miles from home flat! Front drivers, no less!).... She said it didn't say anything, but she probably just ignored it :rolleyes:

The only issue I have with TPMS systems is that they're 'mandated'. I think they're a great idea. Same with Air Bags and Flex Fuel. But the gov shouldn't be mandating anything. The auto manufacturers should be stepping up to the plate and implementing this stuff without 'mandates'.

Last edited:

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Not sure why one would randomly change positions... Never seen that happen. Probably just need to re learn the positions. With the parking brake on and key on engine off, turn the headlight switch between off and parking lights four times in less than 4 or 5 seconds. The horn will chirp. Assuming you don't have a tool to trigger the sensors, let air out of (or add to) each tire until the horn chirps, starting FL, then FR, then RR then LR. After the LR, the horn should chirp twice indicating the learn is complete.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I currently run 9 sets of wheels with TPMS on 5 GM cars. Never had an issue with any of them, and the oldest is 2012.

I use an inexpensive TPMS reset transmitter I bought off Amazon when I change the tires out in Late Fall and Early Spring.

Its very odd you are having issues with the system, as IMO its very reliable. Is this one of Ben's retrofits?

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I currently run 9 sets of wheels with TPMS on 5 GM cars. Never had an issue with any of them, and the oldest is 2012.

I use an inexpensive TPMS reset transmitter I bought off Amazon when I change the tires out in Late Fall and Early Spring.

Its very odd you are having issues with the system, as IMO its very reliable. Is this one of Ben's retrofits?

You asking me or CDBright, Tom?

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Sorry. You, Coug. An 04 with TPMS?

Remember, my truck is a mutt :rofl:. 06 engine, trans, ECM, TCM (I was among the first to make that swap, and probably the only one other than Ben that screwed around with the 06/07 6-speed stuff while my truck was still a legit LLY - I think I sent him the harness I built to plug a 06 TCM into a 04/05 truck harness with no modifications lol), TNR, LUX Bose... All kind of upgrades lol. the TPMS is all stock parts (What's 'Ben's retrofit' that you speak of?) - 06 cluster, 06/07 PDM with TPMS functionality and the appropriate sensors. The problem wasn't with the system, it was with the AC Delco TPMS173K sensors. It was working fine with the 15114379 sensors I originally had (one started dropping off indicating its battery was getting low, so time to replace them all), but for whatever reason, the TPMS 173K sensors, which have a VERY broad application list just went stupid once installed. The TPMS171K's I got for my CTS were fine. no issues. But these, for whatever reason, tested fine on receipt, the second set all tested fine and even paired to the truck no problem, but once installed vanished and would NOT trigger using my Autel MaxiTPMS tool when set to a 05/06 Silverado. But for whatever stupid reason, they would still trigger as a 2019 Ford Expedition (one of the many vehicles on that sensors application list). I'm SURE that had I ordered the 15114379 sensors Or Autel MX-1 sensors instead of the AC Delco sensors in the first place, there would have been no issues whatsoever. I just have no idea why the TPMS173K's triggered and paired to the truck, but after being installed, they essentially 'forgot' how to 'speak' 05/06 GMT800. Makes ZERO sense. In the end, I'd say avoid sensors like the AC Delco ones that have VERY broad application lists and stick with the OE ones (In the case of the 05/06 GMT800, that's the 15114379 sensors), or something that you can program like the Autel MX-1 sensors, if you have the tool to program them.

Last edited: