Towability with a twin over the 68Stg2R?

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Seams they got you on the right path for stuff..
Personal preference I don't like seeing anything more then sustained 230° oil temps..
Remote mount filter and one can run -10 lines

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Why can't you just use dsp5 to select a tune in the 400hp range to tow heavy? I'm confused as to why it sounds like you have to tow with so much power? I've never had twins, so excuse me if I'm ignorant of the twin-towing facts :), but I recall people towing more weight with less power.

because depending on injector size (op never really answered me on it), he may not be able to back the power down that far. 100 overs would be pretty damn hard to detune to 400rwhp with the amount of air he will have.

calereeves

Displaced Texan
Jul 13, 2011
because depending on injector size (op never really answered me on it), he may not be able to back the power down that far. 100 overs would be pretty damn hard to detune to 400rwhp with the amount of air he will have.

Sorry, missed the question! I haven't bought injectors yet. I'm kind of holding off until after I can call up DP and discuss the tuning issues--I'm almost certainly going to take the truck to DP for tuning once it's complete.

Being that the towing ability is my key issue, I figure that's what's going to drive my injector selection the most.

henery97

Apr 4, 2011
Nebraska
Why can't you just use dsp5 to select a tune in the 400hp range to tow heavy? I'm confused as to why it sounds like you have to tow with so much power? I've never had twins, so excuse me if I'm ignorant of the twin-towing facts :), but I recall people towing more weight with less power.

The other turbo is strictly oil cooled and adds a lot of heat to your oil system whether you are on a 600hp tune or 400hp tune. Your oil temps are still higher than normal with twins, unless you have added more cooling.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Sorry, missed the question! I haven't bought injectors yet. I'm kind of holding off until after I can call up DP and discuss the tuning issues--I'm almost certainly going to take the truck to DP for tuning once it's complete.

Being that the towing ability is my key issue, I figure that's what's going to drive my injector selection the most.

gotcha. if mark can tune you down, go with what he suggests. he wont steer you wrong :D

The other turbo is strictly oil cooled and adds a lot of heat to your oil system whether you are on a 600hp tune or 400hp tune. Your oil temps are still higher than normal with twins, unless you have added more cooling.

yes twins add more heat but the difference in heat generated at 400hp to 600hp is huge in just the engine. at 400hp, you can mat the throttle towing and have a slower rise in temp as you watch them, then manage throttle as you see them go beyond your comfort level. at 600hp, matting the throttle will get all your temps to rise significantly faster. you will be backing out of the throttle sooner but at the end of the day, it still takes x amount of power to keep your rig moving up the hill. YOU just have to have the will power to take your foot off the throttle instead of letting the tune limit you :D. i know my initial post made it sound like its impossible to tow with the power but its going to come down to the OP watching his gauges and managing his throttle to keep things happy.

If you have an EGT gauge, Oil temp gauge, and a way to watch coolant temps more accurately than the stock gauge pointer, you can make it work. you just start limiting throttle input when things get hot.

ive personally given up trying to tow 14k up the hills out here in 115* temps at 70mph. you always hit bad traffic, then your slamming the throttle to get to speed, then things start getting hot (even with all my coolers) and your backing out of it some. dont get me wrong, no traffic and i can hold 70mph in 5th gear all day long up the hills. its the getting back up to speed that kills it. ill speed up to 60mph in 3rd gear till i get to the top of the grade and then start getting back up to 70. easier on everything and temps stay very manageable. im always in this thought "i gotta race to get there" and there is no rhyme or reason for it so ive started just taking a little more time and slowing up a bit at the hills when i get jammed up. maybe im just getting old :roflmao: