Tow Haul doesn't work?

wickedwhitetails

Aug 9, 2010
Got an 06 3500 extended cab dually and when you click the tow haul button on the shifter it doesn't seem to work any more. Before when clicked on, the truck would down shift for you when heading down a hill with a trailer when you tapped the breaks. Any idea what would be causing this or how to fix it. Truck does throw a code some times for abs and a rear wheel speed sensor. Could that be our problem?

wickedwhitetails

Aug 9, 2010
Thanks guys. How big of a job is it to tear into this? Can the wire be spliced back together or does the shifter really need to be replaced?

Emanlb7

May 18, 2014
Alberta,Canada
You can splice, still a weak point after, shifters are cheap enough and super easy to change. That's the reason why I just replace.

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
Takes a few minutes to pull it out and a a little work with a soldering pen. It's basically free to fix.

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
You can splice, still a weak point after, shifters are cheap enough and super easy to change. That's the reason why I just replace.

where does someone get a new shifter? is it a dealer item? and does it come with the spring that holds the shifter up while its in park?

b.d.keathley

Apr 30, 2014
Des Arc Ar
I loosened the rubber boot on the column and pulled the two white wires out of the orange sleeve and puuled out of the column. I reconnected them between the column and dash. Took 45 min.

wickedwhitetails

Aug 9, 2010
Hey it's actually an early 07. The light is still comin on but nothing works. Took the dash apart and the orange casing is broke but the wires inside r fine. The truck has the manual shift and there is 4 wires in the orange casing. What should I do now?

handirifle

Apr 21, 2014
I have read that wire can break in several places. I would test the whole length of the wire for continuity before going farther. The TH button is just a momentary ground, that tells a specific circuit on the TCM to activate Tow Haul mode. If the wire is good, there might be something wrong with the TCM flash.