LML total delete

tbelue

Apr 8, 2016
Alabama
I want to do a total delete on my LML for reliability reasons. What kit should I buy. I was looking at Freedom diesel combo with exhaust. I want a tow tune and quiet muffler.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I hate to tell you this but not many people are going to comment on LML delete items.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

tbelue

Apr 8, 2016
Alabama
How much louder is a 4" exhaust with a muffler compared to the factory exhaust with the DPF in it? Slightly louder or very annoying while traveling on a long interstate trip? I just got rid or my loud Cummins and you needed ear plugs in the cab doing 70mph on the highway. I dont want to change all this and be totally unhappy with the noise.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
It'll be louder than stock, but certainly nowhere near as loud as a Cummins with same size exhaust. Start searching "quiet exhaust" here and at DP and get to reading. Lots of opinions, lots of options.

Have you seen IdahoRob's thread here about LML mod testing? He's found some very interesting things out.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
The reason is that it is not legal and nobody wants the government to know that they do it or how they do it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
The deletes are not legal, and lately, they aren't even that necessary for power or reliability. [THREAD=63908]This thread[/THREAD] is what TheBac was mentioning, and has a lot of really good data about different mods on a LML, all with full emissions in place. You might be surprised what can be done with mileage, regens, and DEF usage with just a tune :thumb:

The LML isn't a 6.0 Ford, and won't blow up if you leave the EGR in place :spit: :angel:

I recommend leaving the emissions parts in place until you actually have a problem (if you ever have a problem at all). At that point, you can decide if fixing it or deleting it is cheaper.

tbelue

Apr 8, 2016
Alabama
Wonder why people are agitators on the Diesel place forum. Not friendly. I dont think I will use that one anymore.

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
Just put a delete pipe in and that way you can put the dpf back in very easy in 30 min. The tail pipe looking stock is a plus for me. A dpf deleted truck sounds very good and isn't very loud.

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
I've also considered deleting my lml tow pig. But right now it's working how it is. I do think I'm gonna try a tow tune from idaho rob. My question is can you leave egr assembly and emissions components intact and do a cp3 swap?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Wonder why people are agitators on the Diesel place forum. Not friendly. I dont think I will use that one anymore.
This is what he is referring to: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...ration-2011-lml/829106-stock-engine-life.html

I am not sure they are necessarily agitators (unless there were posts deleted that I didn't see, I only pop in every few days over there), I think they just aren't convinced that the emissions equipment is shortening the life of the modern diesels. I also fall into that camp, as I have yet to see evidence of shortened motor life. Our family farms, and our old diesels don't get any more hours on them before something goes wrong than new ones. You get the occasional old gem that goes forever, but there are new trucks out there with 500k+ miles on them too.

What there is evidence for is the DPF regen on the 2007-2010 trucks diluting the oil. GM knew that, and every regen shortens the oil life, so it gets changed before the dilution becomes a problem. Plus, on the 2011+, they put a 9th injector into the exhaust so they no longer have to use post-injection to regen, which eliminates the oil dilution. I would personally consider a delete on a 2007-2010 for that reason, but I would leave a 2011+ alone (tune only).

That being said, if you want to delete your truck, and live in an area where you can get away with it, there are lots of methods to do it. This forum is not going to be particularly friendly toward deletes either, because we are all very much into diesel performance, and many of the people who delete their trucks go around rolling coal and bringing the EPA down on our heads. Or at least that is the perception.

There are many vendors on this site who will provide you with a delete tune to make everything work. I am with JD Dave, just get a delete pipe. Easy to swap back in for smog tests. And for the same reason, I would just block the EGR, not delete it. Blocking it has the same benefits as deleting, but will pass a visual inspection, and is much easier/cheaper to do.

battlegraduate09

Gearhead
Mar 18, 2010
The deletes are not legal, and lately, they aren't even that necessary for power or reliability. [THREAD=63908]This thread[/THREAD] is what TheBac was mentioning, and has a lot of really good data about different mods on a LML, all with full emissions in place. You might be surprised what can be done with mileage, regens, and DEF usage with just a tune.

That thread really makes me want to go get a new duramax. Then I think about starting all over with mods and playing with it and realize that big ass red lbz I walk by in the driveway everyday keeps me busy enough

bevapo

Sep 6, 2023
United States
This is what he is referring to:

I am not sure they are necessarily agitators (unless there were posts deleted that I didn't see, I only pop in every few days over there), I think they just aren't convinced that the emissions equipment is shortening the life of the modern diesels. I also fall into that camp, as I have yet to see evidence of shortened motor life. Our family farms, and our old diesels don't get any more hours on them before something goes wrong than new ones. You get the occasional old gem that goes forever, but there are new trucks out there with 500k+ miles on them too.

What there is evidence for is the DPF regen on the 2007-2010 trucks diluting the oil. GM knew that, and every regen shortens the oil life, so it gets changed before the dilution becomes a problem. Plus, on the 2011+, they put a 9th injector into the exhaust so they no longer have to use post-injection to regen, which eliminates the oil dilution. I would personally consider a delete on a 2007-2010 for that reason, but I would leave a 2011+ alone (tune only).

That being said, if you want to delete your truck, and live in an area where you can get away with it, there are lots of methods to do it. This forum is not going to be particularly friendly toward deletes either, because we are all very much into diesel performance, and many of the people who delete their trucks go around rolling coal and bringing the EPA down on our heads. Or at least that is the perception.

There are many vendors on this site who will provide you with a delete tune to make everything work. I am with JD Dave, just get a delete pipe. Easy to swap back in for smog tests. And for the same reason 2016 gmc duramax delete kit, I would just block the EGR, not delete it. Blocking it has the same benefits as deleting, but will pass a visual inspection, and is much easier/cheaper to do.
Hi I just bought a 2016 'rado Duramax. All the discussions on a delete seem to be old. I realize they are technically not legal now, but so is jaywalking and mattress tag ripping, right? Did everyone just stop doing it or is it becoming taboo to talk about? What's the deal?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Hi I just bought a 2016 'rado Duramax. All the discussions on a delete seem to be old. I realize they are technically not legal now, but so is jaywalking and mattress tag ripping, right? Did everyone just stop doing it or is it becoming taboo to talk about? What's the deal?

The repercussions are far beyond jaywalking or mattress tag ripping.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
As mentioned, discussions are Taboo.

Even if you know someone who knows someone who might have heard about someone, it's not typed on a forum anywhere to protect all parties from the sniffers that troll websites looking for offenders to go after and fine, even though they are not "actively" seeking violators (supposedly).