torsion bars driving me crazy

bradyn

Sep 22, 2010
kansas
I was curious if anyone else has had this problem. My problem is my drivers side torsion bar nut wants to rotate upwards towards the passenger side when I adjust it. I bought a new nut from GM thinking maybe that might help but it didnt. So my thoughts are that the torsion bar cross member has to be fd up since it won't hold it in place. Have any of you guys experienced this before? I was contemplating on just welding it but decided against that for now. I was also wondering how long does it take for the bars to loose their ridgitity? I don't know if thats a word or not but I mean do they get fatigued and loose their strength? Because even with my bolts out my drivers side sits an inch lower or so. Ive got an appointment for an alighnment today at 2 and I'm going to re adjust the bars so my shafts are dead level. Sorry for the long post but im thinking about buying brand new torsion bars keys bolts the nuts and the new mounts to maybe solve the problem?? Idk?? What do you guys think. I'm going back to 265s so my tires don't rub anymore that gets really old by the way..thanks!

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
The longevity is good unless you put a lot of wear on them for instances plowing and competition. I haven't heard of many failures. Sounds like to me you have a stripped bolt or a wore out key, if there is such a thing. Do you adjust them a lot? Do you take the weight off the wheels prior to adjustments?

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
I run 265's with the shafts going uphill without rubbing so I imagine flat should be ok.

I'm sure the bars sag over time, but it seems negligible. Adding weight seems to be a much larger concern.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I was curious if anyone else has had this problem. My problem is my drivers side torsion bar nut wants to rotate upwards towards the passenger side when I adjust it. I bought a new nut from GM thinking maybe that might help but it didnt. So my thoughts are that the torsion bar cross member has to be fd up since it won't hold it in place. Have any of you guys experienced this before? I was contemplating on just welding it but decided against that for now. I was also wondering how long does it take for the bars to loose their ridgitity? I don't know if thats a word or not but I mean do they get fatigued and loose their strength? Because even with my bolts out my drivers side sits an inch lower or so. Ive got an appointment for an alighnment today at 2 and I'm going to re adjust the bars so my shafts are dead level. Sorry for the long post but im thinking about buying brand new torsion bars keys bolts the nuts and the new mounts to maybe solve the problem?? Idk?? What do you guys think. I'm going back to 265s so my tires don't rub anymore that gets really old by the way..thanks!

if you have that much crank into them, they will rotate. thats why they are c shaped to ride in the crossmember. the point is to keep the bolt perpendicular to the key (or close to it) so there is as much surfice area as possible for the bolt to contact the key. yes, torsion bars will fatigue over time, specially when cranked so sag can be expected over time.

bradyn

Sep 22, 2010
kansas
well july will be two years since i purchased it and i never touched them until about a year ago thats when i lowered them down so the axles were flat. I do pull in the summer with weights, but other than that it is just a dd. I always have the wheels off the ground and my driver sid will still rotate from just touching the key to about 4 turns then it will start to rotate. Why is that?

bradyn

Sep 22, 2010
kansas
maybe that key is worn because when both axles are level the driver sides bolt head will be deeper inside the channel then the passenger side. ??

bradyn

Sep 22, 2010
kansas
Also how many of you guys are sitting on your bump stops? I assume that most of them will do that with stock suspension with the axles flat? Have any of you guys removed them so that there not riding on the stops? Mine are kind of torn up a bit anway.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Mine do not sit on the bump stops since new or after I turned them up I should say. After 11 years they still sit the same and haven't sagged one bit. I know that because they still are off the brand new bump stops I put on last year or so.

The bump stops do disintegrate over time. They appear to be made out of compressed foam with perhaps a harder exterior. My passenger side one just fell off sitting in the driveway.

If yours are deteriorating and you are actually making contact constantly I'd be ordering a set as your going to need them thats if you want them not sure they do anything but if you were to hit a serious hole then you might get a metal to metal clunk in the suspension travel. That I believe is the only purpose of them to cushion a good suspension compression worse if you have weights for pulling or a plow set up out front.

You say you pull so I wouldn't eliminate them myself. But thats me