Torque converter problem?

mikezc128

Apr 14, 2015
I rebuilt my Allison on my 2004 LLY and have over 700 miles on it already. The only problem I am having is the TC is not locking up in the high gears. Tow haul mode will not cause it to lock up and took it to a diesel shop for a tranny reflash and they tried to manually lock it up with a TechII but unable to do so. Lot of times it feels like its trying to push thru the breaks at stop lights and also feels like there is a load while accelerating, causing my truck to smoke more. It has thrown the P0741 code. Also causes the tranny temp to creep up to 210+ degrees. Put it in reverse today and it took off like a rocket then it jumped and slowed down back to "normal reverse speed". Got out of my truck and noticed it sounded like grinding noises coming from the TC area.

Last edited:

mikezc128

Apr 14, 2015
Would this be a bad build on my part or a bad TC? Ive already put 700 miles on it and need to drive it for another two weeks before I have time to work on it. Is my tranny gonna get metal flakes all inside?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Would this be a bad build on my part or a bad TC? Ive already put 700 miles on it and need to drive it for another two weeks before I have time to work on it. Is my tranny gonna get metal flakes all inside?

Nothing you did wrong. Should be ok but do NOT drive it in wet weather. It will push through the brakes and not stop in reverse I went through a bunch of these converters with the same problem. My shop floor is a very slick painted surface and every time this happened I could not stop the truck in the shop in reverse. Scary.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Wow after reading Mikes post I would think it would be better not to drive it at all. With my luck it would decide not to stop with a McLaren or some other ultra expensive sports car in its path...:eek:

mikezc128

Apr 14, 2015
Positive it is the TC? Grinding noise only happens when in neutral and goes away when in gear.

fl7464

Sep 15, 2009
Precision Triple Disc XSP is a Precision of New Hampton unit not a Precision Industries unit.

mikezc128

Apr 14, 2015
It is Precision Industries XSP. But what is that grinding noise I am hearing? Sounds like a worn out pulley but in the TC area. And are you positive its a bad TC? Could it be a seal on input shaft or what? I dont want to have a new one shipped and it not be the TC.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Either way it's coming out. Sealing ring on shaft will inhibit TCC but it will not make noise.

mikezc128

Apr 14, 2015
Well it will be out but I would rather not send in my TC to Pricison and be out a truck for 4 weeks for them to see if its a bad TC. I can order a new one and send the old one back in once its out for a refund only if the old one is bad. That way I will only be out a truck for 2 days.