Too Hot or pretty normal?

pgr11

Sep 8, 2014
Hesperia, CA
I'm Wondering if I should be concerned or if I'm worried over nothing. The weather has warmed here to 80°f -85°f. I've never really worried too much about the running temp but now with the warming I'm afraid I might be too hot. Here is where I'm at coming home from work. No highway but not in stop and go town driving either. Truck is empty.
4a8975e1f004e9a7f9da06f14a101d8c.jpg

I will be towing my 32' travel trailer in outside temps that are higher in the summer so I don't know if I should be worried or if its typical and I'm just worrying over nothing. No loss of coolant and upper rad hose doesn't stay hard. So am I just over thinking this?

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
I'd give the stack a cleaning. When was the coolant changed?

It's not hot and it's not hurting it, but I would think it should be closer to the 170-80 mark.

pgr11

Sep 8, 2014
Hesperia, CA
I'd give the stack a cleaning. When was the coolant changed?

It's not hot and it's not hurting it, but I would think it should be closer to the 170-80 mark.
Not sure. Truck was bought used a few months ago. I'm thinking of doing a coolant flush just so I know for sure.
210 is operating temp. That's normal.

That temp is very normal.. Mine has gotten to 214 in the arizona summer heat at 115 degrees.
I'm in the Mojave desert in California where temps can run like yours so that's why I'm concerned. So then I really shouldn't be too concerned if this is normal operating temps? What about once I start towing? I'd hate to start a trip only to be sidelined in the middle of the dez. Its happened in other vehicles so I'd like to avoid it in the future.

carhauler

Oct 20, 2009
It would help if you filled out a sig so we know what you have , that temp is 110% normal

mechman3

no such thing as too fast
Jan 7, 2015
Saratoga Springs, Utah
I would not use the dash gauge as accurate but more an indicator. The duramax stats are 195 if your running 170-180 you are losing power. If you run that low one or both of the stats maybe stuck open

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
That temp is very normal.. Mine has gotten to 214 in the arizona summer heat at 115 degrees.

I read about a lot of guys have towed and are worried about heat, they have never experienced one of these trucks in August during the day outside 115 degrees driving in town stop and go traffic for 4-5 hours, noon to 5PM is best. These trucks are absolute slugs and barely get out of their own shadow when engine/transmission are heat soaked...

To the OP, what year truck and where do you live..? Even during this time of year I rarely see that temperature, clean the stack, replace the coolant, check the operation of the fan clutch, replace the thermostats.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Duramax+stack+cleaning

Last edited:

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Duramax thermostats are 180 and 185 degrees. Running that warm means either the gauge isn't accurate or the heat exchanger isn't working properly. Check it out.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Normal buddy...

If you have a scan tool you would see that the factory gauge is usually about 25 to 30 degrees off actual temp...

Last edited:

pgr11

Sep 8, 2014
Hesperia, CA
I read about a lot of guys have towed and are worried about heat, they have never experienced one of these trucks in August during the day outside 115 degrees driving in town stop and go traffic for 4-5 hours, noon to 5PM is best. These trucks are absolute slugs and barely get out of their own shadow when engine/transmission are heat soaked...

To the OP, what year truck and where do you live..? Even during this time of year I rarely see that temperature, clean the stack, replace the coolant, check the operation of the fan clutch, replace the thermostats.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Duramax+stack+cleaning
Can't seem to fill out my Sig on Tapatalk, but here is my truck. 03 eclb 4x4. Only mods that I know of are 4" exhaust, intake, and ppe programmer on tune 2. 175,xxx miles. I live in the high desert of southern California.