Tom ( TheBac ) puts down 580/1112

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
The "funny story" about meeting Matt.....

We four [me, Tyler (nephew), Kole (son), Aaron (Koles buddy)] walk into Danville Automotive, not knowing if it was Danville Performance. Ive got the "Am I in the right place?" look. I go up to the counter and the lady asks who Im there to see. I tell her Im there to see Mark and give her my name. Her: "Hes out on a test drive, but we'll get you all signed in. " Me: "Ok, we can go to lunch." Larry, the owner, takes the keys and gets things rolling.

This very tall young man sitting behind the counter starts a conversation with me by asking, "What year truck?"
Me: "03",
Him: "hmm, LB7....What mods?"
Me: "Normal ones, I guess....intake, exhaust, lift pump, tune"
Him: --skeptical look-- "What are you expecting to run"
Me: "Well, Id like to see 575, but realistically thinking 550"
Him: no words, just :confused::rofl:
Me, seeing he thinks Im just another "Internet guy" who thinks a BullyDog gets you to 500hp, "Well, its run consistantly in the 12.40s with a 12.40 best.
Him: :eek: "No kidding?"
Me: "Yup".

So later on, at lunch before we start the dyno, Mark introduces himself and this young man. Mark tells me Matt was in DP Challenge 09. Thats something if you get into that. Had a very nice conversation about his experience in that comp. I remember his name from the competition, so now I understand the skeptism. But I now have a better sense of understanding and respect for why he asked me what he asked.
So after lunch, we start the dyno. Im in the passenger seat, Mark is "Driving", Matt is running the machine. They look over at the numbers and both look back at me. "What?" I ask. "You just got your 575", says Matt...with this funny look on his face. Mark couldnt believe it either. 576/1087 right out of the box. You had to be there. Their faces were priceless.

Nobody believes me that this truck runs like it does. Nobody can explain it, either.

------------------------------------------------------------

My nephew Tyler is a Grad student, majoring in Automotive engineering at our local college. He's 21 and exceptionally intelligent, and has built quite a few engines himself, including one hydrogen-powered small block at LCC (over 200 dyno pulls, 400hp, 400tq motor and still running strong). He knows an awful lot about gas engines (much more than I ever did), but not so much about diesels. Lets just say that after yesterday, he's sold on finding a Dmax to drive. :rofl:

Last edited:

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
You should know this was coming

:D

Ahhhh the Ole' Danville Dyno! :hug:

28% Humidity is nothing. That's still some decent air. Impressive numbers good luck at the track,hopefully the numbers convert :)

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Yeah, I knew that was coming.:rofl:
Mark figured we'd get grief, we talked about that at length during the day.
But thats why I said "the proof will be at the track". I told him and Matt that. I"ll have to be "on my game", thats for sure.

BTW, the calc here has my truck needing around 535-540hp to make a 12.40 @6500lbs under ideal conditions. Most of the posts Ive ever seen about adding a modded regulator state that particular mod nets somewhere around 30+hp....so it might not be so far fetched....and as Trent has said before, I still have some tricks up my sleeve.

Last edited:

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
Very nice numbers

I was hoping to make about the same #'s at the SC open house on Dunbar's dyno but she had other plans about 30 miles before we got there :rofl:

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
WOW that is amazing. So you are still on a completely untouched stock turbo? I have basically the same mods except the modded regulator and I do not think I am getting over 500. Your truck is a beast.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Boost valve and modded inlet on the turbo...thats it. Still stock wastegate, uppipes and downpipe, I/C pipes and intercooler. BD manifold is still sitting on the shelf, too.

First and only time Ive gone "into" the motor was to install the regulator.

I freely admit that I have no idea how this truck is doing this. I wish someone could explain it to me.

Last edited:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
great story :D
Man you get the crap squished downpipe replaced and some upipes. betcha thats the winning ticket to six hundred! throw that ported ihi in for good measure!
any pics of the ported ihi around?

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
True that on the exhaust side.

The ported IHIs are still in testing. I didnt think to snap a pic. I could see myself in the outlet of the compressor, the interior of it looked like a mirror. Same for the inlet side. Still the stock wheels, too, just ported....which is exactly what Im looking for. Then thermal coat it....

But thats for next spring....

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Going to try. Son has ear surgery Thur, so if hes properly recovered Friday, I should be able to. Will let you know Thursday night.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Weather is looking like its cooperating (Sunny, 88*)...just have to get the ok from the Mrs. since my son will be laid up, then strip the truck. Probably shouldnt have fueled back up today....:rofl:

standy

Jun 22, 2009
Royal Oak, Mi.
I think this thread is worthy of my first post. CONGRATS TOM!!!!!
Its great to see that all your work is paying off. I can't wait to see that thing run!

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
awesome numbers Tom, wish you would have been able to come down to NC for the PDC would have been nice to meet and see that truck of yours run. hopefully next yr when i get back from Iraq i can make it up north for some events.

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
Damn Bacon, that truck should be green cuz its the HULK!!!

Thats so cool to know a stock turbo is making that kind of power.

CONGRATS!!!!!

( wheres that ford 6.4 thread??):rofl: