To AF or not?

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
The difference in the two cam designs is negligible when you consider having to pull the engine again if you have a crankshaft failure. So the extra 300 to 500 bucks is pretty cheap considering the above scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I'm still waiting to see all these people breaking these NEW cranks with AF cams. Would like to know if they was lml or lb7 cranks. Have seen a hand full of used break.

gl4787

<-- just sits
Jan 27, 2009
WI
I like how the AF cam was the greatest thing since sliced bread and you never heard anyone say anything negative about them until Banks shit on them in an interview now people are coming out of the woodwork naysaying them.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I like how the AF cam was the greatest thing since sliced bread and you never heard anyone say anything negative about them until Banks shit on them in an interview now people are coming out of the woodwork naysaying them.

you might want to go back and read any post i had to say about them and the posted date. i never agreed that we should have been looking at a firing order swap as it was a band aid IMHO. this was well before banks said anything ;)

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I don't think banks is the holy Grail, but it sounds like he did alot of homework with comparing the cranks from the l5p to the earlier engines. Like others have stated, there has to be a damn good reason gm revamped the whole bottom end of the new duramax.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Well of course the crank needed work. Have you ever seen a dmax crank next to a LS crank? It doesn't take much brains to see that the factory dmax crank is small considering the tq (cylinder pressures) the engine is capable of making. The problem the aftermarket had was designing a heavier crank that still fits in the operating constraints of the engine. Banks was late to the party imo. The big name builders were offering solutions years ago, some worked some are in question now.... but hindsight is always 20/20 they say.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well of course the crank needed work. Have you ever seen a dmax crank next to a LS crank? It doesn't take much brains to see that the factory dmax crank is small considering the tq (cylinder pressures) the engine is capable of making. The problem the aftermarket had was designing a heavier crank that still fits in the operating constraints of the engine. Banks was late to the party imo. The big name builders were offering solutions years ago, some worked some are in question now.... but hindsight is always 20/20 they say.

lol you should see a dmax crank next to a big block chevy gasser crank. it leaves you scratching your head pretty hard :roflmao:

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013

Exactly!