tips and tricks for harmonic balancer swap and water pump replacement

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
So I have been looking over old threads and have a decent grasp on some of the things I'll be against for this job. What are guys using now days for install tools? I plan on getting an ATI balancer. I've put these on race engines (non diesel) in the past and we always used a dead blow hammer to get them on a ways, and then use the bolt to pull it on the rest of the way. I dont really want to remove the entire cooling stack for this procedure, so I figured there'd be a tool somewhere that isn't $325 like the ones I've found on the web. The truck has 280k miles now, and I've had the truck since 60k miles, and the water pump hasnt skipped a beat. But, I have a belt chirp, and when I was investigating, I noticed the balancer has a slight wobble to it. I think its time!

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
So I have been looking over old threads and have a decent grasp on some of the things I'll be against for this job. What are guys using now days for install tools? I plan on getting an ATI balancer. I've put these on race engines (non diesel) in the past and we always used a dead blow hammer to get them on a ways, and then use the bolt to pull it on the rest of the way. I dont really want to remove the entire cooling stack for this procedure, so I figured there'd be a tool somewhere that isn't $325 like the ones I've found on the web. The truck has 280k miles now, and I've had the truck since 60k miles, and the water pump hasnt skipped a beat. But, I have a belt chirp, and when I was investigating, I noticed the balancer has a slight wobble to it. I think its time!
Balancer has a slight wobble? Hopefully it's not your crank...

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I use the DHD tool for installation, it's a great product. Realistically its an easy tool to make out of some threaded rod, plate, a bearing (I know a few Allison bearings that would be great), and a nut. The balancer has to be pulled on, using the bolt can easily damage the crankshaft as it will have minimal thread engagement at the start of installation if any.

If your balancer wobbles I would maybe check runout on the crank while the balancer is off just to confirm you don't have any other issues.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Buy the ATI-918999D stud and washer then buy the generic version of the tool ATI sells. Many versions of said tool.