LML Tie Rods w/ Braces or Not?

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
So,I hate to start a new thread on something that has been discussed a hundred times.. But after reading as much as I can, I still can't make up my mind.

I'm trying to figure out if just PPE or equivalent tie rods will be sufficient or if I should also install the idler/pitman arm braces as well.

The truck will mainly be a street truck and might see the strip once and while, but never sled pull.

Unfortunately I live near L.A. and don't need the turning radius of my CC/LB to be any worse. Some say the braces make it worse and some seem to think it's the same after.

Ultimately I need to make the best fiscal decision, while not leaving myself to open to being stranded after launching the truck in 4wd. My wife won't be too happy if I break it trying to prove something "stupid" in her eyes... I have put in spicer u joints on the front shaft under Mike L's recommendation.

Thanks for any input, I know this has been discussed a bunch, but with no clear winner.

This: http://dmaxstore.com/products/?route=product/product&path=17_21_360_640&product_id=1636

Or this: http://dmaxstore.com/products/?route=product/product&path=17_21_360_379&product_id=882

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I don’t know that the braces made a difference in my turning radius but they’ve also been on my truck for 12 years. I think that’s more of an individual truck basis. On my truck the braces hit but only when you’re really maxing out the steering. Which are why mine are 12 years old and havent broken unlike some others. I don’t know how good the DHD braces but I can tell you my front end is original with 180,000 miles on it and nothings been replaced other then wheel bearings. Everything still pretty tight so that tells me the braces do a really good job of supporting everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stroke250

I May Be Lost...
Jul 1, 2008
Idaho
I have ran both. Either option is fine in my opinion. The nice thing about the DHD is the simplicity. You would also be fine with sleeves over replacement tie rods.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
cognito braces require a proper setup as well as ensuring there is nothing contacting non moving parts as the steering goes from lock to lock. some trucks have required a little shaving of the braces to keep them from hitting the frame on the pass side. essentially, when setup right you should have 0 affect on turning radius as those parts do not have a way of actually changing it unless they physically hit something.

no matter what, i would be running larger tie rods AND some kind of idler/pitman arm brace

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
The cognito braces made my turning radius worse, after I had them.for a year I got rid of them for the DHD brace. if you are going to race it and do boosted launches skip the idler/pitman braces and get the DHD brace instead. Does the same thing but in a better way for less coin too.

http://dirtyhookerdiesel.com/i-1490...-center-link-steering-stabilizer-bracket.html

Unfortunately that appears to only work up to 10' trucks and requires the torsions to be fully backed out on stock keys. My 15' is leveled and I don't plan on changing that.

I'm just looking for something that has street manners and can give me some support/insurance.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Unfortunately that appears to only work up to 10' trucks and requires the torsions to be fully backed out on stock keys. My 15' is leveled and I don't plan on changing that.

I'm just looking for something that has street manners and can give me some support/insurance.

http://dirtyhookerdiesel.com/i-17711965-dhd-600-511-lml-center-link-steering-stabilizer-bracket.html

just fyi, there is NOTHING out there that will stand up to a cranked front end and a boosted launch. do that and you will hurt things no matter how strong as it will just keep going down the line killing weak links.

the DHD brace does not care if you are leveled or lowered, it only matters if you add an actual lift kit that drops the diff. leveling the truck is not the same as a what most people call a lift kit.

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
X2 James, when the coginto braces are properly setup it will not affect your turning radius. I’ve ran both the cognito and DHD. If your going to be DDing the truck more I prefer the cognitos, for a weekend warrior of some type go with the DHD. Both do good and both have put my truck in high 1.5 60’ times with just sleeevs on the tie rods.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
X2 James, when the coginto braces are properly setup it will not affect your turning radius. I’ve ran both the cognito and DHD. If your going to be DDing the truck more I prefer the cognitos, for a weekend warrior of some type go with the DHD. Both do good and both have put my truck in high 1.5 60’ times with just sleeevs on the tie rods.

X3
Put over 200 000km on mine and they were still doing their job when I got rid of the truck.
DHD won’t work on lifted trucks not just ones that are levelled or cranked.

wyopoke

wyopoke
Dec 3, 2015
wyoming high country
Snowman

I bought two set of DMAX XD tie rods. Both boots on driver side tie rods dislodge from the groove where retaining wire ring is suppose to hold them in place. This happen within 500 miles of installation. Several calls to DMAX store resulted in them refusing to help repair or replace boots. Even said I would pay for replacement boots and keeper rings. So I'd say their stated warrantee is a bunch of Crap. Going to order a set of Kryptonite tie rods and it won't be from DMAX Store. I'm sure others have had good luck with DMAX Store. In my book they Suck.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Kryptonite makes good stuff. I’ve had good luck with Fabtech also.

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
Wait. Doesn’t Dmaxstore own kryptonite or have them made for their product line? I looked the website up and read the site. It doesn’t say they are owned by them but all (or most) of the pictures I saw had Dmaxstore’s logos on the products. So??? I would find it hard to believe that a completely different company would make parts and advertise them on their website with a “distributor’s” name/logo on them. I know some or most are made in Northern California but some are made in china. I had a few conversations with a member on here who worked for them and was quite informative about them.

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
http://dirtyhookerdiesel.com/i-17711965-dhd-600-511-lml-center-link-steering-stabilizer-bracket.html

just fyi, there is NOTHING out there that will stand up to a cranked front end and a boosted launch. do that and you will hurt things no matter how strong as it will just keep going down the line killing weak links.

the DHD brace does not care if you are leveled or lowered, it only matters if you add an actual lift kit that drops the diff. leveling the truck is not the same as a what most people call a lift kit.

I guess I should have kept looking to see a unit that fits the LML, thanks for the link.

After reading the install manual, I have one more question. Will the DHD brace interfere with the steering stabilizer? I can't clearly tell. I added a steering stabilizer a while ago because of the time I spend on dirt roads. Albeit, didn't make a huge difference, but subtle enough for me to want keep it.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Wait. Doesn’t Dmaxstore own kryptonite or have them made for their product line? I looked the website up and read the site. It doesn’t say they are owned by them but all (or most) of the pictures I saw had Dmaxstore’s logos on the products. So??? I would find it hard to believe that a completely different company would make parts and advertise them on their website with a “distributor’s” name/logo on them. I know some or most are made in Northern California but some are made in china. I had a few conversations with a member on here who worked for them and was quite informative about them.

No
Dmaxstore is just an authorized dealer.

https://kryptoniteproducts.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg8ab3svE2wIVl8JkCh1-XgMdEAAYASAAEgKnZPD_BwE

Rare parts supposedly makes good pieces also.

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Probably because those were just some dmaxstore ordered with their logo on it and kryptonite just used their pic.

No dmaxstore on this:
310dc9750f751aa125f8ac93eb289967.png

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
I ordered the DHD LML brace after getting an answer from them that it "should" work with a stabilizer in the factory position. I also ordered the Kyptonite tie rods, maybe a little overkill, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks for all the input, Ill report back after I get it all installed.

830king

Oct 24, 2013
Central MN
I ordered the DHD LML brace after getting an answer from them that it "should" work with a stabilizer in the factory position. I also ordered the Kyptonite tie rods, maybe a little overkill, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks for all the input, Ill report back after I get it all installed.
I have the stabilizer in my truck with no problems. I have kryptonite tie rods/ss center link, rare parts idler/pitman, dhd brace. It all works well together. This is on a 2005, you might have different results with your 2015.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk